Wet Dry Cab Question

• Members

in the process of going with a wet/dry setup and currently using a MESA 4x12 (standard) as my main cab.

should i also get another 4x12 for my wet sound or a 2x12 is enough for gigging? what would be some of the pros and cons on getting either one?

thanks!

-PJ

• Members

Two 4x12"

Pros:

If they are the same cabinet, then you should basically get the same tone out of both from your amp

Equal dispersion of wet vs. dry, if you want to hear the wet/dry mix yourself

Cons:

Cost

Weight / Portability

One 4x12" and One 2x12"

Pros:

Cost

Weight / Portability

Cons:

As they are not the same cabinet, then you will only get the tone you eq on your amp out of one of the two cabinets. The other will sound a little different

Unequal dispersion of wet vs. dry, so you will have a hard time hearing the wet/dry mix yourself

OTHER OPTIONS:

1.) Two stereo 2x12 cabs stacked on top of each other (e.g., two Boogie 2x12 Recto horizontal cabs). Wire the bottom 2x12 cab in stereo and use as your "wet" cab. Use the top 2x12 in mono as your dry cab. I recommend this setup.

2.) Rewire your current 4x12. Top 2 speakers in mono operation as your dry tone. Bottom two 12" wired separate of top 2 in a stereo config and use these as your wet tone. This can be "hairy" to wire properly and you need to be sure you're not going to blow your speakers!

Over to you.....

• Members

Just noticed that you don't seem to care about stereo.

As such, the cheapest way to solve your problem is to simply rewire your current cabinet......

Top 2 speakers wired together as your dry signal

Bottom 2 speakers wired together as your wet signal

2 mics to the PA

Done.

:rawk:

• Members

Two 4x12

Pros
:

If they are the same cabinet, then you should basically get the same tone out of both from your amp

Equal dispersion of wet vs. dry, if you want to hear the wet/dry mix yourself

Cons
:

Cost

Weight / Portability

this is probably my best option. cost is not much of an issue, neither is portability. since we're a one guitar band, i can have the other cab on the other side of the drums, next to the bass cab; our singer can put her IE rack piece on top of the cab, and the soundguy doesn't have to worry about bringing another mic to my side to mic the cabs. and my bass player will be able to hear me better also.

thanks!

-PJ

• 2 months later...
  • Members

I think I'd like to have the wet and dry cabs closer than either side of the drummer, probably split two 4x4 for half wet half dry in each if I was setting up on both sides of the drummer.

The reason is, in my experience, I like to use a volume control to blend in and out different levels of the wet side and if I was on the wet only side of the drummer I wouldn't get a good solid guitar tone all the time depending on what the effects were and how wet they were.

Most of the time I have just some light delay or reverb running and if you solo the wet side it isn't very loud yet it is perfect when it is beside the dry cab. If they were split across the drummers space I'd end up boosting the wet to be able to get that good mix and everyone on the wet side would be hearing my tone way too wet....

Archived