Anyone using an eq in their rack.

• Members

I don't but I'm not happy with my sound...I use a Marshall JMP-1 with an Alesis efffects unit in the JMP's loop and power is a vht 2/90/2 to 2 4x12's...sound is almost there...I need just a little more gain/sustain ...I don't have the gain maxed on the jmp due to too much distortion, I have it at about 16 ...if I did put an eq in there, 1. where in the signal path do I place it? and 2. What would the settings be for a Van Halen/Dokken type of tone?..natural spongy kind of sustain...and am I barking up the wrong tree here alltogether?

• Members

I'm not going for the same type of tone, but I have an ART Dual Tube EQ in my rack, with a Peavey Rockmaster tube preamp running through one side and a solid-state ART DST-4 through the other, eventually feeding a Carvin Tube 100 power amp. Each EQ channel sits in the effects loop of the respective preamp. Prior to that, I used an ART Tube Channel EQ/compressor/mic preamp in that rack, and the half-space ART Tube EQ on my pedalboard.

Not that the ART units are necessarily amazing, or that the tube feature really does anything, but I've always had the best results with parametric EQs, which all of the aforementioned models are. You could run the EQ in the loop or between the preamp and power amp, and maybe even in front of the preamp for that matter.

• Members

I'm using it to tweak the mid "sweep" and just generally thicken up my tone. I'm going for a heavier overall sound that what you're describing, and find that an extra layer of midrange control lets me keep the guitar's definition even with a high-gain preamp. The EQ does boost the signal, and has its own input and ouput gain controls.

I've actually switched to an Electro-Harmonix Tube EQ pedal on my pedalboard, as the ART half-rack unit started flaking out eventually. Honestly, I question how much the tube (12AX7 in both EHX and ART EQs) really contributes, but both give the results I want.

Archived