MIDI help needed

• Members

I want to control my G-Major and GCX with a Roland FC-200 controller. It was pretty easy to set the FC-200 to do program changes on the G-Major. Ideally, what I want to do is ADD the on/off commands for each of the loops on the GCX, by each selected patch. I have poured through the manuals for all of the three units and I have to be missing something. Alternatly, It would work if I could figure out how to send the MIDI signals from the G-Major to the GCX, based of patch selected. But, It doesn't look like the G-Major actually has any MIDI control...

Forgive me if you have seen this before. Been posing all over looking for help.

• Members

Hey nite owl. thanks for chiming in. Actually, it's not the fault of the GCX. it is what it is and many midi controllers can make it do what it's supposed to.

The problem is the Roland FC-200. Solid, compact and limited unit. I got it to switch the loops on the GCX, but only on/off, one at a time with dedicated foot switches. No multiple signaling.

After much research and trial and error, I have come to the conclusion that I am probably going to end up getting a Ground Control and one of those snazzy Roland expression pedals for a volume.

• Members
Hey nite owl. thanks for chiming in. Actually, it's not the fault of the GCX. it is what it is and many midi controllers can make it do what it's supposed to.

The problem is the Roland FC-200. Solid, compact and limited unit. I got it to switch the loops on the GCX, but only on/off, one at a time with dedicated foot switches. No multiple signaling.

After much research and trial and error, I have come to the conclusion that I am probably going to end up getting a Ground Control and one of those snazzy Roland expression pedals for a volume.

You can pick up an older model Ground Control for under $100, but if you've got the funds, a Ground Control Pro would definitely be a better choice. I use mine in 4 Presets/Bank mode, which dedicates 4 buttons to changing patches on the Multi-FX unit in my rack and the remaining 8 buttons to controlling my GCX loops.

• Members

You can pick up an older model Ground Control for under $100, but if you've got the funds, a Ground Control Pro would definitely be a better choice. I use mine in 4 Presets/Bank mode, which dedicates 4 buttons to changing patches on the Multi-FX unit in my rack and the remaining 8 buttons to controlling my GCX loops.

Sounds like I better read the Ground Control Pro manual. My whole reason for going MIDI and GCX is so I don't have to manually switch the loops on the GCX.

It would be much more useful to me to have 12 preset buttons, programmed to do the switching for each patch.

• Members

Sounds like I better read the Ground Control Pro manual. My whole reason for going MIDI and GCX is so I
don't
have to manually switch the loops on the GCX.

It would be much more useful to me to have 12 preset buttons, programmed to do the switching for each patch.

You can do that, too, and it's very easy. I just use the other method because it suits my application better.

The GC Pro uses buttons 1 thru 9, plus button 0 to select your preset patches, and Page 19 of the GC Pro manual explains how to program the GCX Loops to be on or off within each individual preset.

If you get a GC Pro, you would connect the MIDI Out from the pedal to the Pedal In on the GCX. That way, the GCX will power the GC Pro. Then all you need is a MIDI Jumper cable to run the MIDI Out from the GCX to the MIDI In of your G-Major and you'll be good to go.

• Members

You can do that, too, and it's very easy. I just use the other method because it suits my application better.

The GC Pro uses buttons 1 thru 9, plus button 0 to select your preset patches, and Page 19 of the GC Pro manual explains how to program the GCX Loops to be on or off within each individual preset.

If you get a GC Pro, you would connect the MIDI Out from the pedal to the Pedal In on the GCX. That way, the GCX will power the GC Pro. Then all you need is a MIDI Jumper cable to run the MIDI Out from the GCX to the MIDI In of your G-Major and you'll be good to go.

Thanks Bro! Good to know. :thu: Gonna check it out. Still haven't made time to read the manual. I have time though... need to do some saving for the GCP and Exp pedal. I have a rule about only paying cash for gear.

• Members

MIDI is an acronym for Musical Instrument Digital Interface, which is a system of communication between computer-controlled musical instruments. It was developed originally for use with music synthesizers.

MIDI allows one musical keyboard to transmit note on/off and other information to another musical device such as a synthesizer (Expander) to create sounds, or to a computer (Sequencer) for recording and playback.

In the last few years, organ-builders have started adding MIDI capabilities to pipe organs. However, since MIDI was not originally designed for such a complex musical instrument as the pipe organ, you will find many divergent opinions among organ builders as to how, and what aspects of, MIDI should be applied to the pipe organ.

Better have to move the below link to get the full details about MIDI .

http://www.organworks.com/web/products/midi_concepts.asp

• Members
MIDI is an acronym for Musical Instrument Digital Interface, which is a system of communication between computer-controlled musical instruments. It was developed originally for use with music synthesizers.

MIDI allows one musical keyboard to transmit note on/off and other information to another musical device such as a synthesizer (Expander) to create sounds, or to a computer (Sequencer) for recording and playback.

In the last few years, organ-builders have started adding MIDI capabilities to pipe organs. However, since MIDI was not originally designed for such a complex musical instrument as the pipe organ, you will find many divergent opinions among organ builders as to how, and what aspects of, MIDI should be applied to the pipe organ.

Better have to move the below link to get the full details about MIDI .

Useful information, to be sure, if you're an organist, but in no way applicable to what the OP is trying to accompllish.

• Members

I want to control my G-Major and GCX with a Roland FC-200 controller. It was pretty easy to set the FC-200 to do program changes on the G-Major. Ideally, what I want to do is ADD the on/off commands for each of the loops on the GCX, by each selected patch. I have poured through the manuals for all of the three units and I have to be missing something. Alternatly, It would work if I could figure out how to send the MIDI signals from the G-Major to the GCX, based of patch selected. But, It doesn't look like the G-Major actually has any MIDI control...

Forgive me if you have seen this before. Been posing all over looking for help.

When I've used midi to control multiple devices I'd always setup the devices to receive on different channels.

Archived