peavey rockmaster

• Members

Hello,Im new to the rack game so here I go.I have a Peavey rockmaster,Alesis midiverb 4,dbx 266 comp,peavey 60/60,Jcm 900 4x12 gt-75`s and the footswitch for peavey.How would you connect this all up ? The rockmaster has a 1v out and a 3v out.which one ? both ? If I just use the two peavey`s do I need a y jack to run stereo as the whole 1v 3v thing is weird.Would you use the dbx ??? The knobs are on the back of the peavey60/60.Would you crank these and use the rockmaster for volume control ??? All reply`s are greatly appreciated on this site Thanx again

• Members

I don't know that it'd be necessary to use the dbx 266 at all, unless you wanted it on the clean channel. The Rockmaster's distortion strikes me as already being very compressed. As for the Alesis, you could put it in the effects loop or between the preamp and power amp. I don't know which output to suggest - I am at the office and can't check how I have my rack set up - but I'm assuming these are just high- and low-gain jacks. No need for a y-cable.

I have the mono Peavey Classic 60 power amp, as well as a Classic 50/50 and Carvin T100. I usually record with the preamp cranked to fully saturate, and adjust the power amp volume to taste, but I've started experimenting with doing the opposite. Try both, and decide which sounds better in your environment. Some people really want power tube saturation coloring their tone, while others prefer a "pure" version of the preamp.

• Members

Thanks. So do you prefer mono or stereo ??? And if stereo is it left and right outputs 1v (L) 3v ® from RM to (L) ® into 60/60 with my stereo cab ??? Thats why I was asking about the Y jack (for stereo) Im so new LOL I have a bunch of tube heads lying around !!!! thats easy thanx again By the way I am currenty running this RM thru my mixer just to dial it in and WOW very KOOL

• Members

I use my Carvin T100 and Peavey 50/50 in bridged-mono mode for 100 watts, rather than split 50/50 stereo, but I also don't run any stereo effects that call for splitting it. I don't know if you can run the Classic 60/60 the same way, as it's a different design from the 50/50, so someone else might be of more help . . . or you could just email Peavey, as they're generally very good about answering emails.

You essentially have the makings of a Peavey Ultra head, but in rack form, so you should be able to get some great tones out of that rig. The only thing I'd suggest - if you feel you need it - is an additional EQ unit. The Rockmaster's active EQ is pretty good, but I like to fine-tune settings a bit more than it allows. Most recently, I used a Rocktron Multi-Valve processor in the shared effects loop, with one patch for EQ and noise gate on rhythm tracks, and a phaser/chorus/delay combo for some spaced-out clean parts. Might be overkill for what you're doing, but most multi-effects units are!

Archived