High-gain tube amp question

• Members

I just have a question to ask those who are more knowledgeable about tube amps than I.

I have a Krank Revolution 100w and a Hughes & Kettner Warp X, both of which are terrific amps. But I am having a few problems with them. The lead channel on both amps sound very fuzzy, the gain is quite low, the distortion is over saturated, and the tonal clarity is very blurry. Could this be from the preamp tubes that I'm using? On the Krank, I have 12AX7A Ruby Tubes. And on the Hughes & Kettner I have TAD 12AX7A-C tubes.

I play melodic/progressive/technical death metal, so I need my amps to produce a really heavy, but clear tone. And the tones I'm getting out of these amps now just aren't cutting it for the music I play.

If I were to replace those tubes on my amps with RCA 12AX7 NOS, 12AX7EH, or any other preamp tubes anyone could recommend, would this solve my problem?

Any suggestions?

Thank you.

• Members

Pre-amp tubes can be pretty subjective,what works for you might not for someone else.

Experiment with them,mixing and matching until you get a combo you like.

Go to Dougs tubes they can be helpfull.

It's a combination of alot of things besides tubes that can change your tone from good to bad, pickups strings, guitar body wood and shape,cords effects,it all adds up to your sound.

Good Luck!

• 2 months later...
  • Members

Is this the case with any guitar? Plugging direct into the amp(s)?

It's odd you're having the same sort of issue with both amps. Perhaps your pickups are in need of an upgrade? Maybe it's just the way you're setting up the way you're settings things up...

One of the biggest mistakes people make is turning up the gain on the amp too much. In a lot of amps this will produce a fizzle and saturation instead of sweet tone. Try lowering the gain a bit and adding some mids.

You can also try boosting the signal into the amp with a Tube Screamer or similar, with the gain set low and the level set fairly high. This will saturate the input stage and you can lower the gain on the amp to get a less compressed, less fuzzy sound.

Experiment and let us know how it sounds!

Archived