Getting Ready To Build My First Rack Unit

• Members

My question is more so about a unit I want to use... I am looking at the GMajor2 for an effects unit.

Looking at a diagram for setting it up:

tce-gmajor2_5.jpg

The system I am planning will be running into a combo. What confuses me about this diagram is the pre-amp being in the loop. With a combo, a preamp seems redundant, unless it is serving some special purpose.

Am I correct here?

• Members

The combo amp certainly does have it's own preamp. So, you're planning on stacking a rack on top of a combo? This seems pretty awkward to me. You might be better off using pedals if you've got a combo amp. You don't like the gain settings on that combo?

If I was you, and I wanted to go to a rack, I'd be all rack or all combo. Ie, Pre - effects loop - power stage - cabinet OR Pedals - combo. But that's just me.

• Members

I love the gain on my combo (Mesa DC-5) ...

What's going on here is I am building a rack that will serve a few purposes...

1) Mount the mixing board to it (we run sound from the stage) as I am getting tired of putting the board on some random table we borrow from the club.

2) Mount some other PA centric peripherals like our feedback destroyer.

3) I have a rack tuner that I would like to use.

4) I would like to mount our Chauvet Obey to it so it's not just sitting on top of my amp.

5) I am seriously looking at buying a voodoo lab ground control. With this single unit I can start to look at not only building effect patches. I really like the idea of engaging my tube screamer, amp EQ and a bit of modulation off the TC Major2, all with a single press of a button.

6) Also with the voodoo lab I can select different light chases on the Obey.

Sure the initial set up will be a pain. But in the long run, it will save me time and frustration. Like drunks stepping on my pedals and moving knobs. Just this weekend some guy did this and adjusted the level on my compressor for me... Oh what a joy that was!

• Members

Mesa makes great stuff :thu:

Do keep in mind the handle (if on top of the combo) may wobble the rack case. And that rack case will probably be around 20" deep at the smallest. And the top of that combo is like what, 8" deep? You may just want to get a small table or blow the extra 200$ and get the full rolling unit. Especially if you plan to get one of those cases that mounts the mixer as well - as you should.

Like this maybe.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ODYSSEY-FZGS1316WDLX-COMBO-RACK-W-WHEELS-TABLE-NEW-/290541193057?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43a59ac761

Then you don't have the potential for a mixer falling/vibrating off and you can reach your combos knobs. :) Especially if you've had some drunk idiot problems...

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I love the gain on my combo (Mesa DC-5) ...

What's going on here is I am building a rack that will serve a few purposes...

1) Mount the mixing board to it (we run sound from the stage) as I am getting tired of putting the board on some random table we borrow from the club.

2) Mount some other PA centric peripherals like our feedback destroyer.

3) I have a rack tuner that I would like to use.

4) I would like to mount our Chauvet Obey to it so it's not just sitting on top of my amp.

5) I am seriously looking at buying a voodoo lab ground control. With this single unit I can start to look at not only building effect patches. I really like the idea of engaging my tube screamer, amp EQ and a bit of modulation off the TC Major2, all with a single press of a button.

6) Also with the voodoo lab I can select different light chases on the Obey.

Sure the initial set up will be a pain. But in the long run, it will save me time and frustration. Like drunks stepping on my pedals and moving knobs. Just this weekend some guy did this and adjusted the level on my compressor for me... Oh what a joy that was!

5. You will need more than just the ground control to do all that. In order to switch pedals like the tubescreamer in/out you will need something like a Voodoo Labs GCX.

Archived