School me on tracks!

• Members

I'm new to the whole idea of having a computer play along with you while you play. I know that you usually play it through a laptop (by the drummer) with recording software on it playing through your interface, however I'm kinda loose on the specifics. What kind of software? How to trigger sames live? Running an output to the mixer and on with the click to the drummer?

anyway..... share your knowledge!;)

• Members

Lots of possibilities here, not all necessarily as you described...

For example, it can be as simple as having tracks on an mP3 player, splitting the L/R signal (one side to PA, and the other (including click) to the drummer).

We use a Macbook running Logic, and set up set;ists to play through in MainStage.

All sequences are fed to our monitor mix & to the FOH send via in-rack splitter.

Click is sent only to my (drummer) monitor mix.

I can start/stop sequences, or forward/reverse to other tracks in MainStage using the cursor controls on the laptop, which is set to my immediate left (or use a mouse if I wanted), but generally use a 3 button MIDI footswitch (www.logidy.com) set next to my hihat pedal which is set to control Track Advance, Play Current Track and Stop Track

• Members

Thanks that is a more complicated version of what im planning on doing. I play a lot of worship music and indie stuff so tracks would be very cool to add. Ive used protools a couple time live. but just for a single sample and for some keyboard effects. From what ive seen protools isnt great live, but ive heard good things about logic and ableton. I would use logic but im on a pc for the time being. do you run your tracks out through an interface or did you use a sound card. Ive used sound m audio interfaces. ive had a good setup with my fast track ultra cause it has dual strereo headphone outputs with volume controls so ive been running one to the main mix and one w/ the click to our drummer.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

All DAW programs do the same thing. Record and play back tracks. Live you would want something as simple as possible to operate.

You wouldnt use a DAW program in most cases to play back the music live. Its designed for recording and mixing. Thats it. You would mix down and master the music to make it sound as good as possible. Then playing out like you would have the songs in a sequence and lod them up in a media player for playback as backing tracks. A DAW takes too much time opening and closing multitrack files and you cant load more than one song in most cases so it makes zero sence to use them live unless you plan on recording.

You really should do some reading up though. This is only the tip of the iceberg in whats involved and you need to do some reading to get you up too speed. go here and read all catagories on the left. They are all relevant and thay will help you making any purchasing decisions you may have. http://www.tweakheadz.com/guide.htm

Archived