Best budget Pre-Amp

• Members

ART DST-4

Peavey Rockmaster

I use these two for recording, and couldn't be happier with the tones I get from them. I think I probably only have about $350-400 into the pair, and recently recorded an album using them for all my guitar tones. The ART has four different channels, although only the clean channel uses a tube.

• 5 weeks later...
  • Members

If death/black metal isn't your thing, you may not care for the song I'm linking to, but the rhythm parts are Peavey Rockmaster and the solos are ART DST-4 running through a Carvin T100 power amp. The delay on the solos is also from the DST-4. Both preamps still have more gain available than what we used here, but also clean up pretty nicely, with the ART having the advantage in that department.

http://soundcloud.com/under-eden/under-eden-exiled-from

Although I don't have clips, I've also run the DST-4 direct to a mixing board via its cab-simulating direct out, with very good results. It's pretty much my "desert island" preamp.

• Members

I'm very interested in this question. I have a CAE 3+ SE and sorta broke the bank with that one. I also have a Mesa Studio Pre that I'm not entirely thrilled with. I'd love to have a 1-space that will compliment the CAE. Any ideas?

• Members

I'm very interested in this question. I have a CAE 3+ SE and sorta broke the bank with that one. I also have a Mesa Studio Pre that I'm not entirely thrilled with. I'd love to have a 1-space that will compliment the CAE. Any ideas?

What type of stuff are you playing, and what's your budget? I'm going to assume rock or metal based on what you currently have, but do you want a high-gain monster? Require tubes vs. solid state? Want effects integrated? It's hard to go wrong with an ADA, although they are getting harder and harder to find in good working order.

• Members

I would say rock with a touch of metal.

I would love to be able to either stay in that $500 range or trade my Mesa Studio Pre for a different model.

High gain monster? No, I like having the capablilty, I'd say, but I don't use that much gain. I use my "2nd Channel" most which I have set up as a pushed clean/slightly dirty.

Tubes are my favorite, but I can't say that I've had a lot of experience with any solid state guitar equipment much past a buddy's Crate G212 or another buddy's Marshall VS head. :lol:

• Members

I'd still suggest an ADA then, either an MP1 or MP2. The MP2 wasn't as popular, and I don't know if there are any popular mods for them, but I've heard one and was quite impressed. Having owned a modded MP1 prior to getting my Peavey Rockmaster, and having worked with people who record with them with great results, I'd say that either model would be a great addition to your rig for not much money. An unmodded MP1 should still be able to get you into "mainstream" rock/metal tones.

In addition to the Peavey and ART preamps I mentioned earlier, you could probably get an Engl e530 for under $500, as well as a few different Rocktron units, most discontinued at this point.

Archived