Multi-FX questions here?

• Members

Considering the fact that most Multi-FX could be thought of as 'rack units on the floor', (the desktop variety even more so)

would it be acceptable to post Multi-FX questions here?

The 'Pedals - Effects, Multi-Effects, Stompboxes and Floor Boxes Forum' is mostly filled with analog single effects users who are somewhat hostile to Multi-FX users. (and it's jungle of immature, dys-functional, mal-adjusted, ... well, you get the idea):mad:

I have a question about the 'Pedal Assign' function on my BOSS GT-3, which the BOSS VF-1(?) rack unit, and maybe some other BOSS Rack units, should share with it.

P.S. I've suggested having a separate Forum for Multi-FX, but it didn't fly with the moderator at 'Pedal - Effects ....', though he may be the wrong person to ask.

• Members

To be honest, I even find the rack/other effects distinction pretty artificial.

"rack" is an enclosure type. but I guess there's a cultural thing.

Anyway, I've had some Roland/Boss units and they tend to share some design, so if the question isn't way too model specific, I might be able to help as well.

anyway, -- shoot! what's the issue?

• Members

Here's what I'd like to accomplish;

I'd like to have 1 parameter controlled by the Expression pedal, in a patch, (easy enough to do) but then, when

the Control pedal is Toggled On, have it turn off the first parameter and Turn On another parameter for the Expression pedal.

Anyone have any idea how to do this, using the generous Pedal Assign functions? (up to 8 per patch)

Here's the Boss Manual take; (the cliff notes)

Target: The parameter that will be controlled. Specify the parameter you wish to control. (the 'Effect unit parameter' is one of the options at this step)

Target Range: About the variable range of the target. (sets the parameter range, pretty straight forward)

Source: The controllers that control the target parameters. (the Expression pedal is probably what this should be)

Source Mode: The result of operating a foot switch. (this is for the Control pedal, I think having it 'Toggle: the parameter will switch between off and on each time you press the switch' is the way to go)

Active Range: Control value range. (this applies to the Expression pedal, if it is selected as the control source)

• Members

Here's what I'd like to accomplish;

I'd like to have 1 parameter controlled by the Expression pedal, in a patch, (easy enough to do) but then, when

the Control pedal is Toggled On, have it turn off the first parameter and Turn On another parameter for the Expression pedal.

Anyone have any idea how to do this, using the generous Pedal Assign functions? (up to 8 per patch)

Here's the Boss Manual take; (the cliff notes)

Target: The parameter that will be controlled. Specify the parameter you wish to control. (the 'Effect unit parameter' is one of the options at this step)

Target Range: About the variable range of the target. (sets the parameter range, pretty straight forward)

Source: The controllers that control the target parameters. (the Expression pedal is probably what this should be)

Source Mode: The result of operating a foot switch. (this is for the Control pedal, I think having it 'Toggle: the parameter will switch between off and on each time you press the switch' is the way to go)

Active Range: Control value range. (this applies to the Expression pedal, if it is selected as the control source)

If I've read this right you are looking at hitting a foot switch to change the parameter the expression pedal is effecting within the same patch? Eg going from volume to delay time?

I'm not familiar with programming the Boss units but from the Midi units I've used, sending a CC message (your foot pedal switch) to effect the target of another CC controller (the expression pedal) is not a function I've seen available.

More common would be to copy the original patch and then change the parameter the expression pedal works on in the new patch. The one stomp on the foot pedal achieves the result you're after then. Provided the unit doesn't have a noticeable drop out when changing patches, you should be good.

• Members

More common would be to copy the original patch and then change the parameter the expression pedal works on in the new patch. The one stomp on the foot pedal achieves the result you're after then. Provided the unit doesn't have a noticeable drop out when changing patches, you should be good.

Unfortunately this negates what I'm trying to accomplish, controlling more than one parameter with the Expression pedal in the same patch.

(so I can adjust them without reaching down, while playing guitar)

I could have the Expression pedal select between various parameters, depending on where the Expression pedal is adjusted, but then I'd need to use the Internal/Wave pedal, activated by the Control pedal, to automatically adjust the parameter. (doable I think, but even harder to program)

• Members

hmm,

I honestly can't think of any way to change the Target of one controller with another controller.

I don't think target is a parameter that can be assigned on the GT-3 (I checked the manual and it didn't look like it was)

Not exactly what you want, but what about running a second EXP pedal from the jack?

• Members

hmm,

I honestly can't think of any way to change the Target of one controller with another controller.

I don't think target is a parameter that can be assigned on the GT-3 (I checked the manual and it didn't look like it was)

Not exactly what you want, but what about running a second EXP pedal from the jack?

I don't have an extra EXP pedal, and really can't afford one or want to deal with it. (good suggestion though)

I think my only hope is if I can have 1 'Pedal Assign' with 1 parameter off to begin with (found a patch that has this, easy enough to do) and a 2nd 'Pedal Assign' that turns off a parameter, both with the Expression Pedal as the Source: Controller.

So toggling the Control Pedal on would turn 1 Assign on and 2 Assign off. (and/or vice versa) That way, I'm not trying to change the Target of the Controller, which may not be possible, but when a parameter Assigned to it is on or not.

P.S. The BOSS manual, the small GT-3 menu screen, and it's lack of knobs, sure doesn't help matters.

• Members

That way, I'm not trying to change the Target of the Controller, which may not be possible, but when a parameter Assigned to it is on or not.So toggling the Control Pedal on would turn 1 Assign on and 2 Assign off. (and/or vice versa)

Sorry for the confusion : just different words, but same thing;

the Assigned parameter IS the target of the controller (what you are "assigning" with an "assign" is the "target" parameter the the controller is going to be changing

So when you are toggling with a control pedal what you are doing is changed an "assigned" (or "targeted", just different terms) parameter -- your case, the parameter you want to assign (or "target") to the pedal is the "ASSIGN" parameter of the EXP pedal

Sadly, I just don't think the FW in that unit (I don't think any of the Roland/Boss units do) supports assigning the "assign" parameter (of another controller) to a controller

It would be convenient, but I don't think the system FW supports that functionality

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

the Assigned parameter IS the target of the controller (what you are "assigning" with an "assign" is the "target" parameter the the controller is going to be changing

So when you are toggling with a control pedal what you are doing is changed an "assigned" (or "targeted", just different terms) parameter -- your case, the parameter you want to assign (or "target") to the pedal is the "ASSIGN" parameter of the EXP pedal

I'm still looking to essentially "Assign" 2 parameters to the EXP Pedal, and then have the Control Pedal turn one off while turning another on. (I'll report back if I'm successful)

2 other options are;

1) Assign various parameters to different ranges of the EXP Pedal, then have the Control Pedal activate the Internal/Wave pedal to adjust the parameter, by raising and lowering it at a preset rate. (never having used the Internal/Wave pedal makes this a bit daunting)

2) Hook the GT-3 up to a computer with software that adjusts the GT-3, which then allows the EXP to control most parameters by advancing to the next parameter of any effect called up on the computer. The only problem with that is I have a Midi Cable with a Pinned output that none of my present computers have. (I've used it with an older computer before) It must be a 'parallel' port, since there's a serial port on my newer ones, which it doesn't fit. (Midi cable has a 15 Pin output)

I'm going to see what a Midi to USB cable will run me. If it's cheap enough, that may be the way to go.

• Members

I once got the input and output impedance specs for about ten of my effects pedals so that I could attempt to chain them according to the most logical order of matching, based on impedance.

I found that this didn't cut it, even though losses should have been minimal.

After years of "goofing" with this elusive monster, I ended up with a system that seems to be the best.

(and I'm talking about 20 years of this nonsense)

I go from my guitar (a 95 strat) right to an MXR Phase 90 "script" pedal, to a volume pedal, to a Roland GP-16, then to either my amp (Boogie MKIII) or a stereo input for practice.

It's simple, but effective.

I am pretty sure that the MXR is critical for buffering or padding or... whatever, right from the guitar... It has to be first in the chain.

Good Luck,

Jim in Cleveland

• Members

this could be done with the Adrenalinn box and the Behringer 1101 midi pedal

. . . I got nothin on the Boss . . .

MANY are the days I wished I had gotten a Boss VF-1 Rack Unit (essentially the same as a GT) instead of the GT-3.

Mainly due to it's having knobs, a better menu readout, and being able to have it 'at hand' and not on the ground.

Archived