Digitech GSP1101 or RP1000 for FSFR System Live?

• Members

The 1101 is more adaptable than the above mentioned units, by a long shot. This has proven quite useful. Descent tones, passable at least. Only one FX, delay, reverb block at a time.

Rocktron makes a similar product, cannot report on it though.

• Members

I liked the GSP1101 but I'd say it's strength is hi gain more than Fender type stuff. I did like the Vox model too. May as well go with the RP1000 since you'll need a foot controller anyway. I sold my GSP but only cuz I needed some $

what is FRFR?

• Members

I liked the GSP1101 but I'd say it's strength is hi gain more than Fender type stuff. I did like the Vox model too. May as well go with the RP1000 since you'll need a foot controller anyway. I sold my GSP but only cuz I needed some $

what is FRFR?

FRFR means full range, flat response. Essentially a PA/monitor speaker cab with a tweeter as opposed to a guitar speaker cab. Powered monitors such as theQSC K12 or Mackie TH12A are popular choices for the AxeFX crowd. You can also use a passive FRFR speaker with a PA power amp.

• Members

Been gigging my 1101 for a couple years now, and it's a great sounding flexible piece of equipment that can cover the many different sounds I need to play covers of every style from the 50's to now.

I think the Brown Bassman amp model is one of my favorites, and use it alot.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I have the ultra, 11R, GSP1101 and had an HD500. Still do actually, it's on consignment. I play a variety of stuff, though not heavy heavy metal stuff.

The ultra is waaaay flexible, can do dual amps, dual cabs, more tweaking than anyone could want. If you want multiple delays, chorus, filters, pitch shifting, phasing, flanging, soundscape stuff-this is the way to go. If you just use an occasional effect and want rocking core sounds-still a good way to go, but expensive. Clean to metal. MFC-101 takes this thing to new levels. Expansions have been free thus far. Being replaced by the axe-fx2. Multiple output options. Not really designed for 4cm. Works well with FRFR (QSCK's for me)

11R-much simplier. Great tones, but not nearly as flexible as the axe-for so much cheaper-it shouldnt. If you want solid rocking tones with the ability to turn on one delay or reverb, and a modulation effect(or 3 depending on how you set up FX1 and FX2) this will do it. Could use more effects and options in those. Probably more to come through expansions-for a cost. No OEM foot controller. FCB1010(with uno or 11prom), midimate, others will work well enough. Multiple output options. I send the mains to a velo300, out2 to the power section of a tube combo and out1 to the board. You can dictate where out1 and out2 exit-so you can decide if they have amp/cab/whatever going on. Current product. Prefer it with tube power amp. 5/p to 7 midi cable can remove wall warts.

GSP1101-nice unit designed to be flexible first. Integrated in 4cm very well. You can set it up to use internal or external preamps by preset, which mates it nicely with a combo amp. Didnt like it FRFR (QSC), but I didnt spend much time with it that way. Made the blackstar HT60 a complete package and a great B rig. Dated-firmware provided by outside sources and even that seems to be drying up. I'd love to see digi come around with another option. The GSP21 was my first preamp back in the rack 80s. A good, affordable unit, with a great dedicated foot controller, non-midi that it is. Clean setup with an RJ45 cable though. Thought about putting this and the 11R together. Basically putting the 11R where the amp would go in 4cm, and using the 11R preamps. 2 floor controllers would look kinda cool, but adds complexities that may outweigh the benefits of additional pedals/effects. A lot of bang for the buck here.

HD500. Mom used to say, "if you have nothing nice to say, shut the hell up". So, this will be brief. Nice floor layout.

• Members

Thanks, Carydad.

I went with the HD500.

-The AxeFX is outside my budget especially as I would need a MFC and an expression pedal. With rackcase and FRFR, that's $3000 minimum even for a used Standard.

-The 11R looked tempting but it's $2k with a modest MIDI and expression pedal, the $99 firmware upgrade (WTF?), and a Mackie TH12 FRFR. For $2k, I'll wait 2 years to see what else come along.

-The GSP1101 got good reviews on some of its FX and modesl plus you can use IR thingies. I could get the used GSP1101 with a C2 foot controller, a rackcase and FRFR for $1200 for the package but i was less than enthused that Digitech no longer supports these in a meaningful way.

-RP1000 was less flexible than the GSP1101 but had the same sounds. I worried that it too was a Digitech orphan.

So I went with the HD500 based on the fact I was in and gigging at $800 with a Mackie TH12a. I know it isn't the best at everything but it seems pretty decent, Bobby D seems to be able to rock with it, and at least Line 6 supports it well. I also liked the fact that it was all in the floorboard - no separate rackcase. Plus when the new generation of reasonably priced modellers come out, I'll be able to sell it for a few hundred clams and not be too beaten up.

Archived