Help! Triaxis, 2:90 and MPX G2 set-up

Leong

• Members

Hi guys, would really appreciate any input/advice from anyone who can help a rack noob with wiring up the following gear, Mesa Triaxis, 2:90 and Lexicon MPX G2 with the R1 foot controller.

The only thing I have set up is the R1. :facepalm:

It'll be a mono output into a 2X12.

The problem I'm facing is because the manuals of the Mesa and lexicon seem to conflict each other.

Thanks!

• Members

As a basic start point, I'd set your signal chain up as Triaxis mono out into Lexicon stereo out into 2:90 into your 2 x 12 wired for stereo not mono. The Midi chain should go R1 into G2 and then through to the Triaxis.

Without seeing the manuals or knowing what the particular issue is don't know how much further help people can give you beyond this. Good luck with it anyway.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I'm running the same pre and pwr. I'd run the MPX G2 through the effects loop and connect everything else as described by Gorgon90.

I also recommend getting some short speaker cables and utilizing the power switching capabilities of the 2:90. It makes a world of difference.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

Not running this rig in stereo defeats one of the great advantages of a Triaxis/2:Ninety rig. But if you must, this is the proper hookup:

Triaxis Output A to 2:Ninety Input (either of the two, just make sure you use that side of the amp's speaker output). Also, critical to not destroying your amp: on the unused channel, make sure nothing is plugged into the input. Set the volume on that channel at minimum and the Presence at MAXIMUM. This is specific advice from Mesa/Boogie for mono operation.

Connect your MPX G2 in the FX loop, running from the Triaxis Send to the input of the MPX G2 and the mono output from that to Return A. Now, you could get complicated and run a four-cable hookup between the MPX G2 and the Triaxis, but it sounds like you're just getting your feet wet with this, so don't go for that complex setup just yet. In that wiring scheme, the MPX can place some effects "front of amp" and others "in the loop" but you have a lot more to figure out related to optimizing signal levels. For now, just do the straightforward hookup.

Next, you need three short instrument cables, like jumper cables for a pedalboard. These go from Triaxis Switch 1, 2, and 3 to the 2:Ninety's jacks for Deep, Modern, and Half Drive. The Switch 4 output on your Triaxis is unused. You can use cheap cables for this as there is no audio being passed -- these are strictly on/off switching.

Some things that will definitely help you:

1. My in-depth review of the Triaxis and 2:Ninety:

http://www.musicplayers.com/reviews/guitars/2009/1209_MesaBoogieTriaxis290.php

2. My tutorial on using MIDI foot controllers:

http://www.musicplayers.com/tutorials/guitars/2006/0306_MIDIFootControllers.php

3. My book, Modern Guitar Rigs: The Tone Fanatic's Guide to Integrating Amps & Effects

http://www.musicplayers.com/PR/MGR_Book_Info.php

Best,

Scott

• Members

Also, if you insist on the mono hookup, every month, change your connections to the 2:Ninety to the opposite side of the amp so that you wear down all of the tubes and internal components evenly.

But get a stereo cabinet -- a 212 or 412 wired for stereo operation (like most Mesa cabs)... you'll love it.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • Members

Also, if you insist on the mono hookup, every month, change your connections to the 2:Ninety to the opposite side of the amp so that you wear down all of the tubes and internal components evenly.

But get a stereo cabinet -- a 212 or 412 wired for stereo operation (like most Mesa cabs)... you'll love it.

Do this.

I fried a component by running one out only for too long. now there's difference in tone even after repair, between the two sides of a cab - i run a recto 412 in stereo, now.

or better yet, if you run a 2x12 cab, wire it in stereo and have both sides of the poweramp plugged in

• 4 weeks later...

Archived