How to run my PODXT pro through my XXX effects koop?

• Members

Hey guys-

Basically I am joining a heavily gigging band as a lead guitarist. I'm mainly going to play covers, anything from bon jovi to Tim mcgraw. My amp situation isn't the best for this type of thing, I have a peavey xxx w 2x12 cab.

I also have a pod xt pro that I was wondering if it could be used in the fx loop of my amp. Id probably need a MIDI floorboard as well, but basically I need versatile effects since ill be playing a few styles.

How would I configure this? Just send on my amp to pod input, and output to amps recieve? There's a bunch of mono outs and random outs on ku pod, not sure if these should he used. Thanks!

Mm

• Members

Guitar into XT Pro - XT Pro Send to XXX Input - XXX FX Send to XT Pro Return - XT Pro Out to XXX FX Return.

This is one option and probably the most versatile as it allows you to use either the Pod XT Pro as a preamp or the Peavey XXX.

Another option would be to plug your guitar into the Pod, then run XLRs direct to desk from it using the amp and cab sims eliminating the need to mic the cab for which the sound guy will love you. You can then either get the sound guy to give you a dedicated monitor mix to play off, or plug the line out of the Pod into the return of the Peavey's FX loop and just use the power section and 2x12 for monitoring.

• Members

Both interesting ideas! So, if I plug into the PODXT, the effects loop would have to be activated at all times in order to hear any guitar, correct? I'm a little new to effects, so it's a little much to get the brain arund.

Also, how exactly would this give me the option of using the preamp of my xxx or the pod? I apologize for the somewhat noobish questions, but what exactly would I want to have activated to get the XXX preamp, and then what wuold I need for the POD?

My main goal is to simply spice up my XXX with some effects- delays, choruses, and reverbs just for the time being until I get stompboxes or a dedicated FX processing unit and floorboard.

• Members

Don't know how well this will describe the signal path but here goes using Jimosity's idea (also known as the 4 cable method):

1) Guitar -----> Pod XT input

Here you use the bits of the POD that would classically be put before amp like compressor, wah, etc. You could also use the POD's amp modelling to get extra preamp sounds.

2) Pod XT FX loop send -----> Peavey XXX main input

This lets you use the Peavey's preamp and tone controls.

3) Peavey XXX FX send -----> Pod XT FX loop return

Back into the POD here's where you use all the effects that classically go after the gain stages in the preamp, eg chorus and delay. If you turned the POD's FX loop off, you'd effectively bypass 2 and 3 and be using the POD's amp modelling and effects direct into the Peavey's power amp stage.

4) Pod XT main out -----> Peavey XXX FX loop return

Back into the power amp part of the Peavey to make some noise! :)

5) Optional! Run an XLR cable direct from the POD to the PA to save mic'ing up the Peavey's cab using the POD's cab modelling.

You will need a floor controller for definite. It will be more future proof to get a Midi Controller rather than a Line 6 board as if you move away from the Pod XT Pro to another brand the Line 6 floorboards will not be re-usable. Behringer's FCB1010 Midi controller is cheap and highly rated (surprising for anything with Behringer on it I know). There are plenty of user groups for it and mods out there to make it even more functional.

Good luck with it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Using that setup, is there a way to get the XXX's tone without any POD tone? I mainly want to use the XT for effects, so sometimes I want just standard XXX, and sometimes I want XXX with XT's Delay.

That seems to work if I want to use the PODXT's modeling- however I just want to use it with effects. I made a patch with no amp and a delay, put on the effects loop and it was a nice clean, however even when I switch my xxx to distortion, the POD is still clean. Maybe I need to try a different configuration to use both the pre, and power amps of my XXX, while using the effects of the pod xt

Archived