Rocktron Voodu Valve

wader2k

• Members

I recently acquired a Rocktron Voodu Valve preamp and for the time being I'm stuck running it into the front of a DRRI.

I know this isn't ideal....but the DRRI doesn't have a Power Amp In and I believe I'll be able to get decent tones out of it anyway.

I tried running it into my PC, but I just have the onboard sound and the latency was extreme. 8^)

Anyway....this should work as I have been running a Zoom G7 into the DRRI for quite some time with satisfactory results. My primary guitars are humbucker LP types.

I generally don't need a lot of fancy presets. I simply need to dial in 1-2 basic patches with low to moderate gain. One of the presets is pretty close to what I need for a shimmery clean tone. The thing I have the hardest time with is dialing out that boxy sound that has too much pick attack and bounce. I'm looking for a mildly overdriven sound that has more of a smooth buttery attack. These things are hard to describe...so if anyone understands what I'm referring to, any hints would be appreciated.

What the Rocktron has that I've never messed before is Parametric eq's...both pre and post. I can't say I really understand what frequencies do what to the sound with a parametric. From what I know of it, the parametric would seem to be a much finer control. I really wish this unit had better editing software. Dialing in a patch would be so much easier for a novice if the software was a little more visual. I think they assume the user has a little more experience than me. 8^)

Anyway. Comments, hints, and tips are welcome!

• Members

What the Rocktron has that I've never messed before is Parametric eq's...both pre and post. I can't say I really understand what frequencies do what to the sound with a parametric. From what I know of it, the parametric would seem to be a much finer control.

As a guide the open 'A' 5th string is 440Hz on standard tuning which is in the lower end of a guitar's range. Also for reference my 7 band graphic EQ has 1kHz as the middle fader so you can try that as a starting point.

The true benefit of a parametric eq is that the frequencies are not locked in as with a graphic and you can tailor them to where you really need them.

Good luck with it.

• Members

It has got a lot quieter in here from the days this used to be Monster Rack, although it was never exactly busy to be honest as racks aren't as popular as pedals these days. Think with the HC 2.0 debacle and the moving of this particular forum here, a lot of the regulars have moved to other places.

Archived