Roland GP-8 GP-16

• Members

I have been using a mostly analog pedalboard for a while but recently I realised that I could get second hand rack processors for the price of a single pedal. So I put m'y hand on some gear that I couldn't afford when it came out on the market.

There I am with my GP-8 and GP-16.

I find them very useable indeed.

Would any users share their impressions and settings?

• Members

All I ever needed was my GP8. Great piece of gear! I bought mine new back in '87 for $999, and as far as stuff to play through goes it is the one piece I'll never sell even at twice that price. I have other processors too now. POD and PODxtpro, Eventide GTR4000, and some pedals as well, but I keep going back to the GP8. Lately I've been coming out of the 4 outputs to the above mentioned processors ( for recording) and especially the PODs sound better for it. Used it with good results through various amps too, mostly a JC120.

The thing has never blinked. I had to replace the cord that goes to the FC100 pedal board, that's it. Once in a while, a long while, it just doesn't sound like itself. Not sure why. I don't know if it's changes in the power it's getting, or changes in me.

As for settings-I'd think that depends entirely on what you're trying to do-what it's connected to. I'm a violinist anyway. :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Members

I absolutely LOVE the Roland GP-8!! It's a very warm rich sounding unit! Even the overdrives and distortions sound rich and full.

It's been my experience that the GP-16 doesn't sound as good. It's kinda harsh and always seemed to give me a headache.

I got rid of it and kept my GP-8 and I hope to never part with it!

They're very affordable on ebay. I HIGHLY recommend!

• 3 months later...
  • Members

I used a GP-8 from '89-96 as my only processor through a Yamaha power amp.

Looking and listening back, the distorted tones are horrible but the effects where fabulous.

Much better preamp/sim options out there now but these were great units.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

For a fat, warm, and wonderful recording rig with no latency my GP8 with a sansamp on the send/return absolutely slays my POD 2.3 as well as my PODXTPRO. But, there are sounds in those 2 units that I'm hard pressed to achieve with the GP8/Sansamp too.

Maybe the newer HD and expensive sims can do it all. I'm guessing not though.

Archived