Anyone using an ADA MP1?

• Members

I just picked up an MP1 locally from a Music Go Round. I've always wanted one, but didn't take the plunge into building a rack system until now. I also bought an Alesis RA-100 power amp, but will eventually pickup a tube power amp. I did find that the internal battery in the MP1 is dead and I'm going to do a battery mod as advised on the ADA Forum. I'm waiting on info from a forum member over there before I attempt to do the mod.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

The MP-1 has been a mainstay of my rig for the last 15 years. I did the unlife battery-less mod a few years back, but the instructions are long gone, lost in a server crash for the Depot way back when. I don't play metal BTW, just to dispel the myth that the MP-1 is only useful for '80s hair-band music.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

The unlife mod is incredibly easy. Just take out the battery and then take out the Op-Amp chip (I think that's what it's called) then replace it with the new chip that has the resistor attached to it. I did it to my MP-1 (when I owned one) and it worked great.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

The 3tm mod is different. The one I'm referring to just eliminates the need for a battery. I was worried that I'd lose all my settings if my battery died, and so I did the mod when the instructions were posted. I wish I'd printed them out in retrospect.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I started using my ADA Depot 3TM "Ultra" mod MP-1 preamps again after storing them away for a few years. It sounds killer in my home studio with the preamp running direct into a Palmer PDI-09 direct box. biggrin.gif If you're going to use a solid state power amp with the MP-1 preamp, I recommend the Mosvalve power amps.

Guitar George

• Members

Hey guys, thanks for the mentions...Yeah, I do the mods; including the 3TM mod (but don't have that listed on my website yet -- email me for a price if that's what you want).
Otherwise; all of the mods can be ordered from my website.
http://www.r3fx.com

By the way - all of the mods that I do are not my design; they all came from adadepot.com -- I simply offer them for those that don't have the ability/desire to mod their own units.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I got tired of Adadepot being gone, so I recently got an idea. Why not just have an ADA MP-1 mailing list. I have a stable domain and a mail and web server, so I set one up. A mailing list is convenient and more than adequate to serve the needs of us ADA nuts.

No registration is required to post to the list: if you write to "ada-mp1@kylheku.com", your e-mail gets posted (if you pass the spam filter). This is great for people who just have a question.

If you want to receive traffic, write to "ada-mp1-request@kylheku.com" and put "subscribe" as the subject. Simple as that.

HTML is allowed, and I set the message cap to 4 megs, so people can send images.

There is a web page too, where you can find archives (updated in real-time), or do web-based subscription: www.kylheku.com/mp1. I will eventually add a no-registration-needed file download area with schematics and whatnot.

• 2 months later...

Archived