Quality Network Cables?

• Members

I'm looking for a good quality RJ-45 network cable to connect my footswitch to my Pod X3 Pro. The one that came with it never lies flat and coils up which is a real pain on stage.

Ideally i'm looking for one that is made of similar rubbery material that most guitar / XLR leads are made of. anyone know of any available like that?

• Members

This is the only CAT5 cable that I know of that is designed for live instrument applications: http://best-tronics.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=BMI&Product_Code=FAS04-XX&Category_Code=Fractal_Audio

I have been told that this cable was designed to coil like a guitar cable and be more robust overall.

If you want an even more durable option, you should look into Ethercon. You can find the converters and ethercon cable on the Best-Tronics website (great folks to buy from).

• Members
o_O Since when were ethernet cables used to connect footswitches? Weird! Why?

Ever since Line6 started business. Even the original POD 1.0 (I own one) had this. It makes sense from a design standpoint - RJ-45 connectors are cheap and ubiquitous, and ethernet cables are relatively cheap and easy to find - just go to your local office supply or computer store. It eliminates the need for a special cable, and if the cable fails it's easy to buy another one.

• Members

Yeah, they're cheap and easy to find when they break... but unfortunately they break pretty often. Honestly, I would go for ethercon. Line 6 has essentially been using their own type of ethercon for years. I just got an AxeII which uses ethernet and I'm just using cheapos right now, but as soon as I have some extra cash flow (or I run out of cheap cables) I'm going to upgrade to ethercon. That best-tronics one designed for live instrument applications looks pretty good, but I've heard it's not really that much better than any old CAT5.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Ok i'm a bit confused about the Ethercon cables. The connectors are all sized like an XLR lead, so does that mean i'd have to modify my pod and swap the standard CAT5 input to an Ethercon CAT5?!?

If you really want to, although that sounds difficult and maybe even impossible.

The easier solution is to use something like this as an adapter: http://best-tronics.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=BMI&Product_Code=MC-1117&Attributes=Yes&Quantity=1

Archived