Hooking up 2 subs to a powered mixer with a seperate amp

• Members

Anyone ever hook up 2 passive 8 ohm subs(with a seperate power amp) with a powered mixer? The mixer is a Peavey XR2012. It has 2- 600w amps. One powers the mains and the other powers the monitors. I'd like to hook 2 Peavey PV-118 passive subs at some point with a Peavey pv2600 power amp. Not sure if I need a crossover. The amp has a crossover feature that I'm not familiar with...The mixer has an aux send and a mono out. The mono is a blend of both channels and has its own slider to control it. Any Ideas??   

• Members

You need a low-pass filter somewhere in the chain so that the subs receive only material below some frequency (200 Hz or wherever you set the approximate cutoff.)

(A cross-over is a combination of a low and high pass filter used in two-way speakers, ideally designed so that if the high and low parts complement: if they are added together, the response is flat.)

I just had a glance through the reference manual of the amp. How it works is that it has a built in crossover that you can simply turn on and off, independently on each channel.  The low-pass filtered signal is routed internally to the power amps. So if you turn on the crossover on a channel, that channel's power output is then low-pass filtered (try it).

In your case, that is all you want: so it appears to be as simple as toggling a switch.

Note that the frequency is fixed at 150Hz.

If you wanted to use the high-pass signal, you would have to externally patch that, taking it from the HIGH output jack of the given channel, and sending it somewhere else, like into another amplifier, or as input of the other channel of the same amplifier (so that it is used as a bi-amp rather than stereo).

• Members

Thanks Kaz! I ended up buying a stand alone crossover rather than using the one in the amp. I used the mono out on the powered mixer (a blend of signal) an went into the crossover, then to the amp and out to the respective speakers...highs to the 15" tops and lows to the 18" subs. It was a bit hairy sorting out the sound but I think shes dialed in nicely....I was even able to use the 2- 600w amps in the powered mixer for independent monitor mixes!  I  also created a submix, and miked the drum kit using a seperate 5 ch mixer I have! Still dialing in the sounds on the drums...just waiting for a second set of ears for a bit of help!   THANKS!!    

• 5 years later...
  • 3 months later...
  • Members

It seems that you have already figured things out.

I, for one, used a powered mixer (Crate PCM8-DP) for years (in the 90's) as my band's mixer.

As my need for more power/coverage increased, I bought a Rane AC22 crossover and a QSC power amplifier to run a two-way system (hi/mids and subs).  For routing I went from the "post EQ out" to the crossover, then to the power amp and used the internal power amps (of the Crate) for monitors.   Totally flexible system however it was mono...which is fine.

I have always tried to bring what I need to a gig rather than bringing a canon to a fist fight (a pun..).

I did not check the specs on your amp's crossover but you may want to try to use it as an external crossover is a a good visual way of doing it but having "another thing" in the signal chain adds another possible point of failure....just my opinion.

BTW: Although my rig has grown over the years, my trusty Crate powered mixer always makes a trip to the gig - just in case..

• 5 months later...
5 hours ago, Minrel Tomarong said:

Good Day!

How can i hook up my active subwoofer into a Beringer PMP6000?

First of all, I don't have any experience with that particular Behringer powered mixer, so I'm basing this solely off of what I can see in a picture of it, but it appears to have a mono output on the top panel. Assuming that is a LINE LEVEL output (and it appears to be one to me), you could run it directly to the line level input of your subwoofer. You may have to trim the volume level of the sub as needed to get the correct balance between it and the main speakers, or the board may have a way to do so. Again, I'm not familiar with that board enough to say if it can or not.  

The main stereo speakers would be connected to the Behringer's powered outputs (assuming that they're passive speakers, which makes sense due to the Behringer being a powered mixer with built-in amps) as usual. 

You should also take a look at the Behringer mixer's manual - they probably have connection / setup / operating recommendations listed in there. You can download the manual here:

https://www.behringer.com/Categories/Behringer/Mixers/Powered/PMP6000/p/P0A8O/Download

Good luck, and welcome to Harmony Central. :wave:

15 hours ago, daddymack said:

you may be able to run it off the monitor out, which may not be powered.

After looking at the manual for that particular Behringer powered mixer, it appears that the mono out that I mentioned in my last post is indeed designed for the specific purpose of connecting a powered subwoofer (or an amp and unpowered sub) to the system. 

Archived