Preamp question

• Members

Mr.scary96 wrote:

Any info is appereciated.

Before anybody can really speculate as to whether you would benefit from a preamp in your rig, they would have to know what it is.  So... You first!

I use preamps in two situations and for different reasons.

First; in one of my larger bass rigs I bi-amp and process for two different frequency bands to each set of cabinets.  I'm also using larger amps for each frequency band.  But before I can amplify it, I have to create signal to feed it.  That's where the preamp comes in.  I use it to equalize, compress, limit and control the output that feeds the amps.

Second; my large guitar rig is all rack mounted and MIDI controlled.  Again, I have a separate two channel tube amp so I need a preamp to process the signal going into it.  But this time the preamp I use, an ADA MP1, shapes the signal that I feed to the amps, but also has patches that each have a different drive, eq, fx loop, etc.  Think of it as instead of having a clean and drive channel on a typical amp, I know have 120 "channels" each with it's own tonal characteristics that feeds the amp then the cabs.  There's actually more in the chain, but to keep the concept simple I'll leave the elaborations for a different thread.

• Members

I guess the next questions is what are you hoping to accomplish by adding a preamp?  You essentially have a clean and a dirty channel in switching the MXR pedal in and out of the chain.  There's EQ available on the amp.  What else do you want it to do?  What's wrong with what you have?

Don't get me wrong!  I own so much stuff that I don't even play, it's ridiculous.  I design and sell electronic systems for a living, but I will never recommend unessesary equipment purchases to anyone who can't justify it to themselves.  I just want to be sure you're getting a solid recommendation, based on my experience.  Hope you will seek out others as well.

• Members

For recording?  That's a different and much less forgiving horse, unless you're into reamping.  But that's a lengthy thread for a different day.  I use a couple of different ways when recording myself.  One is a bunch of obsolete gear that I still love after all these years, that could be considered more of an emulator than a modeling device.  It's an ADA MP-1 preamp into an ADA Ampulator, which as the name would indicate emulates an amp and can also simulate a number of cabinet configurations for directly feeding a recording channel.  The other is a regular old Line 6 Pod modeler.  Both do well and each have their own good and bad points.  Regardless, for some reason I'm still drooling over the AVID Eleven Rack.  Frankly I'd probably be better off putting that money towards guitar lessons, but I know me better than that! 

But that's just me.  What would I recommend for you?  I'd recommend you get out and listen to local people who play the music you like and find out what they're using.  Then go try some stuff out in person at your local music store.  But before you do any of that, try slapping a variety of mics in front of your amp and hit record.  See what you get.  Often times simple is the way to go.  Good luck with your search!

Archived