Is this Graphic Equalizer Broken?

Sunjae22

• Members

I recently came into possession of a used BSS Opal FCS-966 graphic equalizer and plan to use it live with our band to address the feedback problem in the monitors.

I decided to test it out first so I hooked it up to my Focusrite Scarlett 2I2 Audio Interface. I connected the line outs on the back of the interface to the inputs of the EQ with a couple of TRS cables and then went from the outputs of the EQ into the inputs of my KRK Rokit 5's.

I ran some music through it and it works when the EQ is bypassed however, when pressing the button to put the EQ into the chain, everything goes quiet. None of the metering lights up and the controls do not affect the sound apart from the HP filter knob.

Is the graphic Equalizer broken or am I simply doing something wrong?

• Members
Sounds like it is dead. Is there any signs of life when it is first powered up, such as momentary flashes of the LEDs?

Have you checked the the fuse and the power voltage switch setting?

The two red 'EQ in' buttons illuminate when pressed but other than that no momentary flashes when powered up. The voltage switch is set to where it should be, I haven't checked the fuse though. Would sound still pass through as it does in bypass, even if it is a fuse problem?

The two red 'EQ in' buttons illuminate when pressed but other than that no momentary flashes when powered up. The voltage switch is set to where it should be, I haven't checked the fuse though. Would sound still pass through as it does in bypass, even if it is a fuse problem?

I didn't realize the EQ in buttons illuminated on that EQ - that means it's getting power, so the fuse and the voltage select switch are most likely fine, but it certainly doesn't sound like the EQ is functioning properly. I'd take or send it in to get it serviced.

Archived