DB tech Basic speakers

• Members

Hey all

Not sure if this is the right place to post this but here goes.

I've got an opportunity to purchase 2 second hand db technologies basic 400 speakers for a good price. I currently have mackie srm450v2 and i love them. Now not looking to replace these just have them as backup and for monitors when possible.

Now my question is, are they any good?

Does anyone have experience with these or can compare them to my mackies?

Would it be a huge difference if I was to use these as main FOH instead of the mackies???

I am unable to listen to them before purchase as they are on the other side of the country but I can't seem to find any reviews online about them.

Any feedback is welcome

Thanks

• Members

Going by the specs they are very similar to the Mackie except 100W higher in power. That's a good thing for PA gear because you want that extra headroom so your vocals stay clean. As far as the company that makes them I'm only vaguely familiar with them having seen some products here and there. No first hand experience with them.

They are made by an Italian company that's been in business since 1974. Given the fact so many companies have come and gone in that time and they have remained in business is a good sign. There are many newer products that have no history and doing well simply because they advertise and sell cheap stuff anyone can afford.

This video I posted has a look on their basic 100 set. Usually higher end sets look very similar with simply higher powered components used. The prices are very high for what you get so I'd say they are over priced. There's a ton of other manufacturers making the same plastic cabs. JBL was probably the first and everyone copied their designs

I'm used to looking inside this kind of gear and I'm not seeing anything that impresses me. Of course its all in how they sound but loud isn't everything. Looks like Cheap generic woofers and tweeters. Jensen speakers are made in Italy now and I could easily see this company using cheap branded Jensens for these builds. Definitely nothing special there though. It wouldn't be paying $1500+ for these by any stretch of the imagination, but I have allot of options available here in the US. If you cant get the pair for a couple of hundred bucks then they should be fine. I just don't see the reason for the high cost. Maybe in Italy/Europe they are popular?

Archived