How do you keep MIDI cables from falling out when you do one-nighters?

• Members

I do one-nighters and along with my mixer, EFX, and BBE, I have 3 synth modules (with MIDI cables in their backs) in my SKB rack.

Unlike the XLR and 1/4 Phone jacks/plugs, there is nothing to secure the 5 pin DIN connector, so occasionally they fall out while being schlepped.

They don't fall out often, and I have them located where they are easy to reinsert, but I'd rather not have to take the time during setup to take the back off the rack and plug them back in.

I thought about tape, but I don't want the residue on the gear.

Does anyone have any clever ideas?

Thanks,

Motes

• 2 weeks later...

Those are cable tie anchors. You know those nylon zip ties? You use those with these tie anchors. The back of the anchor is adhesive - remove the backing paper and press to stick. Then you can use the zip tie to anchor the cable in place (there are slots in the anchors to pass the zip cables through) so it won't fall out. :)

The only concern to be aware of is once you "lock" a cable in place, it won't come out. Sounds exactly like what you want, right? :) True... but the downside of that is that if someone should trip over your cable, instead of coming unplugged, it's more likely that the keyboard will be knocked down... so make sure you take that into account and properly gaff any cables so no one trips on them.

• Members

I'm trying to keep from sticky stuff on my gear, and I do want to be able to change the cables when they do go bad -- my life on the road lesson is everything will break sooner or later - even if it has a lifetime guarantee. And it will break on the day where traffic gets you to the job without enough time to properly troubleshoot the problem and therefore cause a mini-panic.

Insights and incites by Notes

Archived