Help me pick out a rack case

• Members

Tried posting this on reddit.. but I have a feeling many more gearheads are here.

So I've slowly migrated to a rack setup to ditch a pedal board and for overall ease of use/setup.

Current gear: Avid eleven rack (2u) Rocktron velocity power amp (1u) Rocktron hush (1u)

I have this stuff currently in a 4u standard depth case, with a power strip and a morpheus drop tune shoved in the empty space in the back. I hate how cluttered and BULKY this case is. There's no good way to place it anywhere since it's practically a foot deeper than the top of my 4x10 slanted cab (which is already small as it is).

What I want: add a rack mount power supply, add a method to mount the drop tune pedal.. preferably in a slide out rack drawer.

So what I'm looking for help on is to find the best way to do all this. I want it to look right sitting on an amp so I think I need to get a shallow case. I'm thinking it may be possible to mount my current gear in the front of a shallow case, and then fit a small power supply and sliding shelf in the back. The power supply will easily fit. I'm not sure on a shelf, I'd have to measure. I know I could fit all this in the front/back of my current case.. but like I said it's just so oddly shaped sitting on top of my cab.

Anyway, maybe someone else has a completely different idea, so what do you guys think?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Or you could get a 14 RU rack on casters and put the 4x12 on top of it! Get the cabinet up to ear level so you can hear it better (as if it were ever a problem) and you'll have space for more stuff. 'Cause you're never really done when you have empty rack spaces!

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Members

Yea that's a great price. They charge you an arm an leg on some of them.

I built my own for my guitar rig. I only needed 4 spaces. I didn't even use the rack rails. I just light pine for the sides and used 1X2"s cut to size and glued in for the rails. I then used wood screws with nice recessed washers to hold the gear in.

I added some nice brass corners, handles and all. The tough part was getting the front and rear lids to work. I had to try several latches till I found ones I like. This was quite awhile ago before I bought stuff on the internet so I was using hardware store stuff. You can buy the key type butterfly locks on line these days would be best because they can lay flat.

I don't use racks any more live. Too darn heavy. I use the one I made in the studio.

The pro made stuff is allot lighter today. I have an older rack unit that's about 2.5' high. Its made of 3/4" plywood with the heavy duty wheels and handles. I cant even load it in a truck when its loaded. The best I can do is tilt it up on the tail gate and slide it in. A dead lift would take 3 guys.

This is why its better to use multiple units stacked maybe 4 or 5 spaces. Maybe 6 if its light weight. Otherwise you'll be worn out before you ever strap up to play.

Archived