Advice Needed for Basic Lighting System

wsgo

• Members

We're running a very basic system for small indoor venues (ie. private parties and receptions for a 4 pce. blues/jazz combo). We have two trees each with 4 par-38's and T-4 microphone-activated chasers. Like I said, very basic. What bulb wattage do you recommend? Also, are we okay with the two trees in front or should we add 2 more in back? As for gel colors, should we avoid blue and red since they may be too dark with amber and pink as better choices? Also, how many colors do you recommend on each tree? Finally, what are the highest wattage bulbs available for par-16's? And does anybody sell a duffle bag for carrying the two light bars/6 par-38's?

• Members

As for wattage, depending on the throw the fixtures have to cover I would recommend less than 300 watts. Reason being is if they are close to the musicians the stage temp will be unbearable.

If you can afford to do backlichting, do so. It will give the look on stage a more three dimentional feel.

You should use non colored par lamps and use gels to color your lights. This way you can have a blue that is not deeply saturated as the ones that are already colored.

As for the other issues, I don't really know.

• Members

Blues and Jazz love Blue and Red gels.. There is something very bluesy about Blue and Red...

Par 38's are 120watts aren't they? I suspect you can't upgrade the fittings if they are designed for par 38's.. A simple par can fitting like a Par 56 or Par 64 is a better bet as the 56's are 300 watts and the par 64's, anything from Ray lamps to 1000watt lamps with variable lens degrees'. A mediium flood lamp like the Cp62 (1kw) or the CP 88 (500w) do for most small stages although "you better" check the lighting dimmer (controller/chaser that also provides lamp current) can handle the wattage (10amps at 240 volts is around 2500kwatts, that's five CP88's or 8 par 56, 300watt.

Lighting from the side and front is okay although you should consider back, top and side lighting. Using floor cans in certain situations can be a good idea also...

• Members

PAR 64's do not come less than 500W I know for a fact 'cause I have check several manufacturers and no one has them. I beleive you can get the PAR 38's up to 375W. (I will check that later tonight when I get home from work.)If you want to spread the beam you can use a silk gel. It will reduce the intensity a bit but it will spread the beam.

Archived