pinspots mounted

rxnet

• Members

Two types of mounting for traditional pinspots. First is standard wood floor mount (I like these because of the notched bottom railing which allows for cords in and out) and the second is a set of 2 or 3 pins mounted to 1 1/2" conduit making it easier for set-up (instead of securing 7 clamps for 7 pins I only use 3 clamps) plus they mount higher then the truss. After the pics I added a cube tap to the truss mounted ones and secured the excess cable with zip ties fo easy set-up into my dmx-4.

• Members

You can also use Unistrut or Versabar for mounting multiple fixtures. It comes pre-drilled and is actually stronger than conduit.

For a few pinspots, I'll go for lightweight over strong with EMT, which you've recommended many times. However, for long bars (8' or more), Unistrut really is the way to go. You can preload a 10' bar of unistrut (that's about how long i'd let it go unsupported) with LED Pars, a scanner or two (well, you might want to put the scanners on at the gig with full-size C-clamps, because they fit unistrut perfectly), and an effect or two and put it on hooks in the top of a trailer (IFF you have a 10' trailer!). 2 of these bars would make a good corner stage setup - you just can't overload them. 2 scanners per unistrut and 6 LED cans per unistrut is what I'd feel safe loading on, 'cause that's what's on each half of the 20' section in a venue that I work at (it's supported at the ends and at the middle). It's amazingly strong stuff.

And for reference - the stuff at this venue is so strong that I can do pullups on it no problem. And that's with all the fixtures on there. And I weigh about as much as 5 250W moving heads. I'd never load that much on to a piece of unistrut, but I have placed that much weight on the unistrut with just 2 point force vectors. (I'm crazy about underloading way below safety ratings).

• Members

Those are cool,And i like the conduit idea,very smart..

Do you have a link to where i could find that kind pin spots.
:)

PM DJS Biff and/or BillESC to get pricing - and please don't let anyone bull{censored} you with LED pinspots.

The actual product on manufacturers' pages is here:

http://eliminatorlighting.com/product.asp?ProductIDNumber=24&cat=Strobes%20and%20Par%20Cans

http://americandj.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ItemNumber=1292&MainId=2&Category=Pinspots

http://www.chauvetlighting.com/pinspot-2.html

• Members

Have any of you guys seen some of the Minitec extruded aluminum stuff? It's gaining popularity in safety guarding assemblies for industrial shops/factories, and is brilliant for building custom designs.

powerlock.gif

Fence%20Ladder1_jpg.jpg

The stuff is metric-based, but the slots are sized so that you can slide a 3/8" bolt head into it and it locks itself in place once you attach a bracket or fixture and locknut it in place. Allows you to slide it into any position. They make plastic twist-in clips to keep wiring attached and organized.

The stuff is slightly expensive, but for a permanent install it looks and performs better than anything Unistrut makes.

Archived