Water vs Oil Based Hazers

blackeyed28

• Members

just curious really.

i've been using a fogger (actually a fazer, ..which is a fogger w/timer w/fan) for awhile, ..but have just recently played a gig with a real hazer (antari hz-300) and i'm SOLD on hazers.

now that i'm researching a little, i've read about Le Maitre having a water-based hazer (Radiance). i was wondering how it works and if you can expect the same kind of performance out of a water based fluid. does anyone know ?? is it compressor based ?? heater based ??

my thinking is that water based fluids dont perform that well b/c they evaporate into the air so quickly, ...and the beauty of the oil based fluid is that they will hang around for hours NOT evaporating into the air (i assume they get filtered through the AC unit at some point, ..or end up in trace amounts on clothing that eventually gets washed.

(and, yes, fog has a larger particle size which creates a fog instead of a haze, ..which is fine if that's the effect you want. i want the haze type effect)

anyway, ..just curious how the water based hazers (not foggers or fazers) compare to the oil based hazers. anyone know ??

• Members

I bought a Radiance from Bill a short while ago, and I couldn't be happier.

I'm also happy to say that I recently sold a Chauvet HZ1000 "fazer" on eBay to some other dude who didn't know any better. I'm so glad its gone, but even more happy that I have a Radiance.

Do a search here - I challenge you to find anyone who is unhappy with the Radiance. Its pricey, but damn worth it. I've had half a dozen fog/fazer machines over the years - could have bought a Radiance from the get go with all the money I would have saved on machines and fluid.

Plus, the hazer produces atmosphere that is easier to breathe than the fog machines. At least that's been my experience.

• Members

The only oil based machine accepted on Broadway and in the major touring circles is the DF-50, it is a real cracked oil machine.

The Radiance creates the same atmospheric effect. While it is water based, there is actually very very little water in the fluid it uses, it is a concentrate. The Radiance costs less than half the price of the DJ-50.

• Members

The only oil based machine accepted on Broadway and in the major touring circles is the DF-50, it is a real cracked oil machine.

The Radiance creates the same atmospheric effect. While it is water based, there is actually very very little water in the fluid it uses, it is a concentrate. The Radiance costs less than half the price of the DF-50.

Plus the Radiance comes with built-in DMX control and it's smaller (and weighs less) than a DF-50 (yah, personal experience there).

You can buy a HZ-1000...and then an Antari or MBT or ADJ machine...and then a Radiance...or you can just buy the Radiance and be happy from the get go!

Archived