Using Keys to control lighting

Tullsterx

• Members

Does anyone one here have experience using their keys to control the light show?

I'm hoping to use my Alesis Fusion to send midi note/program change info to a MDX light board, and I'm just wondering if many people do that. Just sitting here thinking about it, I think I could program a sequence to send note info to create some runs and scene changes, perhaps a small flashing light visible to the drummer could be used to sync things with the music, if he can play in rhythm to a flashing light without going nuts, or send a click track. Or maybe just use it to simply change scenes for different songs and let some sound controlled units add some flashing.

Anybody out there doing anything cool/innovative with their keys and lights?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Only time for me has been when useing synth bass etc to fire lasers in sound active mode. Omnisistem magick box green widebeam, Omnisistem magick box green (narrow beam predasessor), and Extreme Lasers Cosmic Frenzy green aerial lasers. In their sound active modes. Can work very well. But of course then its with lightshow being accompanyment rather then "orchestrated" lightshow display. In some ways and at times I do prefer just letting the lasers groove to the musics beat etc. Other times I rather like the hands on control of useing my Chauvet scorpion fatbeam lasers wireless remote to trigger program changes and types on the fly. From out in dance area where beings are going around and thru dance floor. The latters great for when I want to do a tunnal or ocean waves or etc around particuliar area of dance floor or to go with some music ambience etc. The sound active though can be quite good for dance appeal and little add on eye candy rythum thing.

Though I really couldnt see useing a keyboard synth to run lasers independant of the sound synth is playing thru PA. I did briefly experiment with doing that and it only proved useful for casting pulsing circles from individual notes. With the laser running on an audio program similair to the old lightbulg color organs of the 1970's. Other uses just mainly created useless gibberish for laser movement that only rarely gave any amusing or captivating music to laser movement. Same type of thing youd get from mounting a little more on speaker cloth of a PA speaker. Which then moves according to air movement from speaker expcursion. With single laser beam bounced off of it. Only briefly entertaining and lacking the visual substance of lasers running on their own sound active modes. Combined with dmx or wireless remote control, its best of both worlds to me. Manual control mixed with sound active pattern triggering.

So to answer your question. Keyboard like synth keyboard controller, even if set up for dmx controller substitute. doesnt work as well as the existing dmx controllers etc. In my experience anyway. And its not as fun as the modern laser controllers & bulilt in sound active modes alleady out there imo.

However for some types of light shows, a keyboard conttroller to run laptop for light show control might be nice. With joy sticks/wheels ect also assigned functions. But I think going that route for me might not be so good when it came back to just playing synth for music. Lol.

Archived