dmx/cable addressing question

Plan_G

• Members

This is probably a simple question but logically I can't wrap my head around it right now, and I'm waiting on a part for one of my lights so I don't have them set up to test...

At the gig last week I had two LED fixtures on the right and left of the front of the stage. I had the dmx-out that was supposed to go to the computer interface labeled and I followed that, even though I had to swap the trees from left to right. (does that make sense?) (What I designated as the terminating fixture started on the "wrong" side of the stage, so I swapped the trees.)

Then I hooked up the dmx cable to the first one and ran it to the PC... after the show began I realized that my fixtures in Freestyler were ass-backwards. my "inside" groups were on the outside, my singer's lights were set opposite. It wasn't that hard to swap them on my freestyler screen being I only have 4 lights...

Since I have the addresses programmed on the fixtures, and the addresses programmed in the software, can I hook the dmx cable up to the last light and have it work the same as if I had it on the first one? Was this just my OCD cable positioning that caused my problem? I'm thinking 'probably'... but I want to check with you guys who know what you're doing. This could get messy when I add more fixtures =)

-g

• Members

You can hook the lights up in any order that you want as long as they are all daisy chained and the male end of a cable is going towards the controller. The order in which they are hooked up has no bearing on control. In swapping the trees you also made the inside fixtures the outside fixtures and vice versa, if you think about it.

• Members

The controller should go to the DMX "in" not out. The addresses control the fixtures, not their location on the cable. You can just remove the terminator to the other tree instead of switching the trees. You can also simply change the fixtures addresses to get them to work the way you want.

• Members

ok, that's what I was hoping :) Yep, the inside and outsides were flip-flopped as well. Luckily it wasn't too critical for the sequences I had made. Hell, I didn't even notice right away... nerves ;) I'll label them and just put the cable to the computer in the best place and switch the terminator. And set put it back, test the software to the fixtures at home ;)

Thanks again guys~

Archived