Opinion on Venue (the company) lighting?

AxisDrummer

• Members

Hey guys,

I'm by far any kind of a lighting guy. I'm the drummer but really the only guy who feels like lights would add to our performance a bit.  Now we just do small bars and run off sound and/or preset sequence.  No DMX controllers here although a foot controller would be nice sometime.

All we have is a 2 Chauvet Colorstrip Minis up on a t-bar behind me.  It's better than a dark corner.   Again, lighting isn't a priority so spending $$$$ isn't happening.

Are the Venue lighting pars any good? http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/venue-thinpar64-10mm-led-lightweight-par-light

Venue isn't a coupon exclusion so I can get these for $80 plus tax.  Thought about picking these up to either put up on another t-bar (4 of them).  Or sticking them on the ground to point at our banner, or bass drum logo.  

Any thoughts and/or opinions?  Enlighten me.  I just hit things with sticks.

---Mike

• Members

I don't have experience with that exact fixture, but it looks in the same league as most of the 10mm diode fixtures out there. The only thing that would concern me is that fixture looks like it is made of plastic. That could make them pretty fragile. But other than that, they would make a decent addition (and would keep up with) your ColorStrips.

• Members

A friend of mine has some of them and he feels they're a decent value. At $80 each, I would tend to agree. The only thing he mentioned was that the courtesy AC plugs seem to be a bit flaky the more you plug/unplug them. They are made of plastic.

I have owned some Venue LED38/56/64 cans (not the thinpars). The 38's seemed a bit cheesy in their construction, I had some minor issues with them such as dipswitches that would flip by themselves, a few bad leds here or there. Entire rows of LEDs went out on a few of the 64's I initially bought, but I had them exchanged and had no issues. I still own and regularly use the 56 cans with no issues. 

Venue is the house brand of lighting for the Guitar Center conglomerate of companies. 

Archived