Chauvet Obey 40 Chase Playback Question

EOband

• Members

Hello,

I am using a Chauvey obey 40 as my DMX controller and have a question regarding chase playback.

I would like to create 6 chases and be able to select just ONE chase and have that played back until I select a diffeent scene or chase.

The problem I have is when I turn the chase AUTO mode on, it cycles through ALL my programmed chases.

The manual says this...

------------------------

"You may activate multiple chases in this controller. They will play back in sequential

order"

------------------------

That looks like is what is happening, it is scrolling through the chases in sequential order. BUT what if I don't want it to scroll through all the chases, I just want to bring up ONE chase and loop just that chase.

Is this possible on the obey 40?

• Members

On my Obey 10, if I just want a single chase to play i have to hit the buttons for the other chases to turn them off. Try turning on Auto mode, then hit the button for all of the chases that you DON'T want. Better yet, hit all the buttons, and nothing will play. Then hit the button for the chase you want. Works for me...

• Members

Wow, that's kind of clunky.

I may be in the market for another controller in that is the case.

I currently am using a Behringer FCB1010 midi foot pedal and it works great for selecting SCENES by just pushing one button and sending a midi note to the controller.

I just wish I could call up chases in the same fashion. One midi note, one chase, done.

Can anyone suggest a controller that could handle this? Thanks!

• Members

I use the Elation Magic 260 w/the Behringer FCB1010, and it works great. the only dif. is they are called shows insted of chase's. you record your scenes first then link them together to create shows, setting length of scene and fade time (the time it takes to fade from one scene to the next) It can handle 24 seperate fixtures, more if you combine them on the same channel. I bought this board three years ago and recently had a problem with one of the clubs outlets. long story short I had to replace one of the circuit boards There are only three in the whole unit. ADJ

• Members

The Obey is pretty weird in this respect. I find that the best way to get reliable chase switching out of it is to just use the individual banks for chases and not link them.

This works flawlessly, but your individual chases can only have 8 scenes each then. I mitigate this by relying heavily on the internal chases of the lights themselves (if I want a lot of stuff going on), most come with a significant amount of options that can be called up through dmx. You can get surprisingly creative.

I use the fcb1010 also to change chases.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I use the Elation Magic 260 w/the Behringer FCB1010, and it works great. the only dif. is they are called shows insted of chase's. you record your scenes first then link them together to create shows, setting length of scene and fade time (the time it takes to fade from one scene to the next) It can handle 24 seperate fixtures, more if you combine them on the same channel. I bought this board three years ago and recently had a problem with one of the clubs outlets. long story short I had to replace one of the circuit boards There are only three in the whole unit. ADJ

• Members

Hey Doug,

This sounds like what I need. So you can save the fade speed and time for each "show" and it remembers it when you playback? If so, this is exactly what I am looking for, on the Chauvet, I need to set the speed every time I call a chase up. And you can also call up a "Show" with one stomp on the FCB1010?

If it can handle those 2 things, I'll get one ordered.

Thanks again!

You dont need to set the time each time actually, the obey 40 remembers fade speed and hold time if you set it while programming. I've used this a lot. If you touch the sliders after switching to playback/auto mode it will default to your manual slide setting.

They can be a little sensitive so watch you don't accidently bump them, I usually have them slid to an extreme before switching to auto, which helps a lot.

• Members

So, does the Obey40 lets you program different fade speeds and fade times between scenes or it will be the same thru all the scenes ?

..sorry for jumping in the thread but I think this might be useful (TBH I couldn't figure that part out reading the manual)..

• Members

Yea, you set up each scene individually. You can have one thats all red for example for 10 seconds, then fade slowly to all blue and hold 4 seconds, etc. automatically.

Like i say tho, the only chases worth a damn on the obey are the 8 scene banks which work like chases. Trying to string these together for the longer chases doesn't work so good, they seem to overwrite eachother instead of switch for some reason.

Individual banks work great, only bad is the odd time they black out for a few seconds (once a night or so) during a switch. This doesnt affect me much since I usually only switch chases between songs now but if you had a lot of moving heads and your lights is a true centerpiece of the act I wouldnt use it, but its fine for my needs.

• Members

Thanks to this thread I learned how to use the AUTO option on my obey 40. Very cool. Only thing I need to remember is not to set it to play back on a bank that has a full-on-auto scene - that'll throw you for a loop real good. ;)

• Members

,im a bass player/guitarist getting ready to play some big venues and the dudes i play with dont wanna rent sound or lights so i am left with the task on running lights at some venues without a light man and im from the old school of anilog dimmer packs and boards im now running an obey70 with the fcb1010 and im thinking of switching the footswitch to an fc300 roland cause im just not getin it need your help if possible

• Members

You dont need to set the time each time actually, the obey 40 remembers fade speed and hold time if you set it while programming. I've used this a lot. If you touch the sliders after switching to playback/auto mode it will default to your manual slide setting.

They can be a little sensitive so watch you don't accidently bump them, I usually have them slid to an extreme before switching to auto, which helps a lot.

Hey Doug,

It's good to hear the Obey 40 can the fade and speed. I must be missing something in programming since I can't seem to get it to do this. It seems like it's saving everything as 0 speed and zero fade time no matter what I do. So when I bring up a chase, the lights just fidgit extremely fast like they are moving from scene to scene as fast as they can until I manually move the sliders.

I'm not seeing anything in the manual regarding saving the speed or fade time during the programming stage, I only see fade and speed come in to the picture in the AUTIO playback section.

I may have to mess with this a bit to figure out what I'm going wrong.

• Members

Hey Doug,

It's good to hear the Obey 40 can the fade and speed. I must be missing something in programming since I can't seem to get it to do this. It seems like it's saving everything as 0 speed and zero fade time no matter what I do. So when I bring up a chase, the lights just fidgit extremely fast like they are moving from scene to scene as fast as they can until I manually move the sliders.

I'm not seeing anything in the manual regarding saving the speed or fade time during the programming stage, I only see fade and speed come in to the picture in the AUTIO playback section.

I may have to mess with this a bit to figure out what I'm going wrong.

All I have to do is set the fade and time on the sliders before I save the scene, should work as easy as that.

Like I was saying though, if you mess with the sliders when its set to auto it will default to the new slider value... your sliders may be sensitive enough that it picks up something from them right off the bat and takes off, may want to try different positions before switching to auto and hope they dont give an input.

Cant think of anything else to suggest right now.

• Members

All I have to do is set the fade and time on the sliders before I save the scene, should work as easy as that.

Like I was saying though, if you mess with the sliders when its set to auto it will default to the new slider value... your sliders may be sensitive enough that it picks up something from them right off the bat and takes off, may want to try different positions before switching to auto and hope they dont give an input.

Cant think of anything else to suggest right now.

Well that's great news. I'm pretty sure the problem was with me then. I am sure I had the fade time and speed both at 0 when I was creating the scenes. I thought the speed and time was set during the chase programming.

I will just go back and recreate the scenes with the faders set where I want them.

I think should be able to accomplish what I need with the Obey 40 if this is the case.

The only other issue I am forseeing is the problem of the controller cycling through ALL chases when I pulled up a chase in auto mode. If I can get the thing to stick permanently on Chase 1 when I select chase one, and permenantly on chace 2 when I hit chase 2 and so on, I will se set.

Thanks again for the help.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...
  • Members

Is there a way on the Chauvet Obey40 to combine two looks together? I have several fixtures programmed to SlimPAR56 LED's, as well as a GigBAR IRC on another fixture. When I try to program them together in an individual scene, there are some fader settings that conflict. Is there a way to program a look with the SlimPar's and combine it with a look using the GigBar?

• Members
Is there a way on the Chauvet Obey40 to combine two looks together? I have several fixtures programmed to SlimPAR56 LED's' date=' as well as a GigBAR IRC on another fixture. When I try to program them together in an individual scene, there are some fader settings that conflict. Is there a way to program a look with the SlimPar's and combine it with a look using the GigBar? [/quote']

You should have you fixtures assigned, so that the SlimPars are on a fixture button (assume Fixture 1), and the Gigbar on another fixture button (Fixture 2). Now, while in the scene program mode, you select the first fixture and set it to the color or program you want. Staying in the scene program mode, you turn off fixture one and turn on fixture 2, set the desired look. Now turn on fixture 1 and 2, and then save your scene. Once complete, when you select that scene fixtures 1 and 2 will come on as programmed.

• Members

You'll have to shop used as this board is long since discontinued. I agree though, it is one of the best small controllers I have worked with. I purchased mine off Ebay for $180 - cosmetically challenged but fully functional. They were $600 new.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Can anyone answer this ???? I have in obey 40 operating 16 slimpar 56's . DMX mode 7 Channel ! This is for theatrical stage lighting ! I know how to program my scenes but I'm wanting to fade my scenes on and off ! ( instead of abruptly having six pictures to come on quickly) ! I'm pretty sure this can be done on the obey 40 ??????

• Members
Can anyone answer this ???? I have in obey 40 operating 16 slimpar 56's . DMX mode 7 Channel ! This is for theatrical stage lighting ! I know how to program my scenes but I'm wanting to fade my scenes on and off ! ( instead of abruptly having six pictures to come on quickly) ! I'm pretty sure this can be done on the obey 40 ??????

I believe what you are looking for is the ability to change the fade time between scenes. Sadly, the Obey series does not allow this - one reason why I did not go with these boards. The fade rate control does not work in scene playback. Additionally there is no Master fade on the board. It's pretty much on or off. You can control the fade time between chases - either auto bank or an actual chase, but this does not allow you to manually decide when the chases can be forwarded from one scene to the next.

Archived