Is this ok for starting DJ lighting?

Jealousblues

• Members

We have a full light show in our band but we have also started a DJ company.

We were thining of something like this.

(things we need to buy)

two Chauvet 4bar systems in the back for some kind of wash lighting (I believe they are not the brightest fixture but my thought is for a DJ you might not need bright wash lighing.  Right or wrong?)

4 blizzard flurry Q's

(things we already have)

1-2 American DJ mini lasers (we already have these around)

1 American DJ Vertigo (we already have this around as well)

2 Chauvet Intimidator HTI 2.0 spots (we already have these)

2 Chauvet intimidator 2.0 scanners (we have these already)

Magic 260 controller (we already have this)

We also have an american dj mega bar someone gave me sitting around.  Im not sure how to utilize it though.  its the short one.

We also have 8 par 38's laying around but I dont see how we could use them.

I know many lighting people who like actual par lights (not 38s though) but I dont know if random people's/clients perception of them would be 'unprofessional'

I would like to get some kind of white disco ball light.  We have two of the Chauvet LXW lights (we use these in the band) but one is broken and I dont know if there is anything comprable out there to replace it with.

I know with a Dj there is far less wash lighitng because you dont need to light up a band.

We also want it to be somewhat simple for one DJ to set up.

Me coming a bit from band world know more about that style of lighting than the DJ thing.

Does anyone have any opinions or thoughts, suggestions or general theory for DJ lighting?

We just spent a bunch of money on sound (4 SRX728 subs, 4 prx 725 tops) to be split b/t our current band rig and two dj rigs.  So we would have three similar systems

so there isnt a ton to go around right now.

• Members

If you're looking for a good replacement for your LXWs, check out the American DJ Vio Moon.  They're in the process of being discontinued, but they're still available on eBay for a great price - around $80/ea.  It's got an RGBW LED rather than just a white LED.  I own two of the LXWs and love them, but I wanted color & DMX control and the Vio Moons give that.  They used to have a scanner version - the Vio Scan.  I put 4 of those in a small club/concert space a few years and they were great for the low ceilings given the beam spread.

You'll probably want a higher energy effect or two for DJing though - I'd recommend a pair of American DJ Quad Phase HPs.  Nice effect with lots of movement.  For wash lighting, I'd actually recommend a pair of Blizzard SnowBanks.  

of them if you have any doubts.  Wash if the whole fixture is on, but can also be an effect if you do zone chases on the front in haze/fog.

Archived