Chauvet DJ Obey 70 Physical Fader Assignments

RunDMX

• Members

I am using the Chauvet DJ Obey 70

I programed several banks of scenes without issue. They play back fine.

However....

I wanted to align the functionality of the channels for 6 different types of fixtures. For instance. I want Fader/Slider 5 to control the color Red for all fixture types. This is the "Physical Fader Assignment" section of the. This is similar functionality to the "Joystick Assignment".

I followed the Physical Fader Assignment instructions (After resetting the system... don't factory reset if you have programming that you would like to keep)

For a Chauvet SlimPAR64 RGBA, I used this mapping:

Physical --- Fixture channel --- Function

--- ---

1 --- 10 --- nothing

2 --- 11 --- nothing

3 --- 8 --- master

4 --- 6 --- Strobe

5 --- 1 --- Red

6 --- 2 --- Green

7 --- 3 --- Blue

8 --- 4 --- Amber

9 --- 7 --- mode

10 --- 5 --- macro

I went back to verify the settings (they don't always stick the first time)

I have done several different configurations over and over trying to find a workaround to this problem

For this example I set one of the SlimPAR64 with the above setting and left the others with default assignments

For regular use, everything works fine.

When setup a scene and program it in. The one with default assignments works fine. The one modified in this example changed as I programed it into the scene. When I play back the scenes, the ones with default assignments work fine. The ones with the Physical Fader Assignments does not.

I don't have a DMX channel reader so I cannot tell exactly what the program step is recording. I have tried this on two different Chauvet Obey 70 boards.

Has anyone else combined "Physical Fader Assignments" with programmed scenes with good or bad results?

Don't change your assignments if you already have scenes programed and working. If you have a moving head assigned to the joystick, you could try creating a scene that included a joystick setting.

Thanks for any help or comments.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Dude,quit beating yourself up and go to a software solution.

I like a physical surface to setup scenes/ Cues as anybody does, and having a actual knob or fader to grab is gratifying. So or solution is 3 inexpensive midi controllers link into our software.

Every parameter of any fixture can be assigned, the stacked with similar fixtures, to a knob fader or button.

So much more control, less headache. Many more options for chases and motion.

We are still using DMXis. Been a while now.

Using a FCB1010 when our band needs live control. When we're do other production stuff we use both a Akai MPD26 and a Akai Midimix.

I like them because the have editing capabilities so we can program them to our software easily.

Lots of knobs,faders and cue buttons!

Archived