Programmed stage lighting

New Tricks

• Members

I've searched a bit but thought I'd start a new thread.

In my band, we utilize backing tracks which means that we stick to set lists and the arrangements never change.

We plan to program a light system in the same way we program the back tracks. In theory, the two will run in sync every time.

​The pre programmed backing tracks are working perfectly and I am hoping for the same level of success with the lights.

The first thing I need is a controller. I just started my research and found the Enttec DMXIS which appears to do what I want it to but I have just started looking. #1 on my wish list of features is, "easy to program".

The next step will be some simple light bars, probably moving lights like the Blizzards I saw in another post.

Im starting small with some simple stage washes and spots for singers/soloists and progressing from there.

The one thing I haven't been able to figure out is a method of triggering the lights and backing tracks at the same time. I don't trigger the tracks from a computer (I use a Roland SPD-SX sample pad) but I might have to in order to get them to sync perfectly.

Any direction will be appreciated.

Thanks, John

• Members

Thanks for the reply. That's pretty much where I'm at right now.

I thought maybe I'd get lucky and find someone who has done the same exact thing and shorten my learning curve. My brain is getting short on memory space and every new project seems to slow it down a little bit more :)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Members

Yes, I made a lot of progress, thanks.

Like you said, the DMXIS was pretty simple once I got started.

I'm still struggling trying to trigger the light shows via midi signal but everything is working fine via computer control.

Archived