Cheap light for lighting band members

knerr

• Members

I currently have a pair of chauvet 4Bars I'm using for a front wash, but am thinking about getting four to eight more lights for a constant flesh tone lighting on the band members. I could get RGB pars in the $60 range, which really isn't bad at all, but I was wondering if there was an even more inexpensive alternative since I'm just just wanting white/pink, for the most part. We do have some incandescent cans we could use for this (probably the sensible idea), but would really like to keep moving towards LED. Thanks for your input.

• Members

You can buy COB (chip on board) LED flood lights. Some come with remote control for pretty cheap and just mount one to each main to give you some light. The remote will let you dim them or black them out.

Here's an example:

http://www.amazon.com/Techno-Earth-F30K-120-Degree-Waterproof/dp/B009E89QBS/ref=pd_sim_sbs_hi_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=10T5AP3EAE79DPC1P0JQ

• Members

Thanks for the input and link. COB LEDs look very promising. I'm wondering if the flood might be a little wider than I want, but I found some COD Par bulbs that look promising. Can get them for less than $15ea. Most of them seem to have a 60 deg beam angle. Does that seem about right?

• Members
Thanks for the input and link. COB LEDs look very promising. I'm wondering if the flood might be a little wider than I want' date=' but I found some COD Par bulbs that look promising. Can get them for less than $15ea. Most of them seem to have a 60 deg beam angle. Does that seem about right?[/quote']

It depends on your stage size and how far away the bulbs are. Wider beam will have better coverage, but not as bright. I use AMDJ TPar syterm which has 4, 30W COB RGB lights. I have 2 systems so 8 total. 90 degrees w/o the focus lenses and 25 with. I use 1 with as a spot and the other without. I'd think 60 degrees would work for you, but you'll likely want at least 2 per side.

Archived