Lighting Control Interfaces/Software - Windows 7 64-bit Compatibility?

monthlymixcd

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

So, I found a Craigslist deal on a used Elation Operator 192 hardware control AND a Velleman USB/DMX interface... both shipped for $120. I want a hardware controller as a backup just in case my Thinkpad dies mid-gig. (I've configured all of my fixtures to have the same DMX addresses for both Operator 192 AND Freestyler control. BTW - I got lucky and the Velleman K8062/VM116 USB DMX interface I got in the deal worked with my Win7 64-bit install on the Thinkpad without installing any additional drivers for it.)

I also made my life easier by snagging another Craigslist deal on some wireless DMX gear for $60 shipped... one transmitter and three receivers, all Chinese, but identical to the stuff that's getting rebranded as Donner or SIRS-e and they work well and up to a considerable distant, too. They were a deal because the previous owner was a touring pro solo performer and had customized the receivers by heatshrinking the power supply guts to them to power off of the last fixtures on each tree... hard to resell that way, but perfect for me... saved me the work of doing that!

I'm also taking steps to pre-wire/pre-hang my fixtures on the T-Bars and truss to save time and have an idea for safely storing and transporting them to/from (and on) the band truck. Should make setup a breeze as I'll only have to run a single power cord to wherever my trees/truss are. I'll post pics when I get a chance.

So basically with my recent light and wireless DMX purchases now in the mix, I'm 3x the coverage/intensity of what I had to work with for lighting before, it's more flexible and I'll have more control with everything on DMX now, AND I'll have essentially cut my setup/teardown time for the lighting gear down to at least half of what it used to be. Merry Christmas to ME!

• 2 months later...
  • Members

fetch?id=31427437fetch?id=31427436fetch?id=31427435

So, not spectacular... but WAY more lighting than we had before on the band and it's SO nice to be able to program it all on the laptop. Freestyler X2 and my Velleman USB:DMX interface. You can't see it here, but after I setup, I created several macros for my MX-10 Extreme scanner to pin spot the mirror ball, to wide spot the award presenters and recipients during the band breaks, and to work the stage and/or scan the entire room. Really cool. Also not seen here are the beam FX on the truss over the drummer and the trees out front that looked great later in the night with haze from the machine under the floor tom.

Archived