Used Martin MX-10 Extreme Scanner Q...

monthlymixcd

• Members

Disregard the worth getting part. lol I went back over lunch and picked it up for only $20. Before I went back I researched it a little... unit has a LOT of capabilities... IF it's fully functional. Well, it isn't but I think it has enough potential that I bargained them down to $20 and took it out the door. They said the lamp worked awhile back, but didn't the last time they tried it for someone. so they put it on the clearance table... where I found it.

I looked up the manual before I went back and learned how to initiate it's function test and did that at the store... and while the lamp didn't work, the mirror mechanism (missing the mirror, as noted previously) whirred around like it is supposed to (very quietly, too... those Danes do good work. Even the cooling fan was still very quiet.) With a flashlight and using the face of my cell as a mirror I could see inside the unit and the color and gobo wheels were spinning silently. I didn't see the shutter move, but might just not have waited long enough for the strobing part of the demo program... if it does strobe during demo mode.

Anyway... should be a nice winter project. Bulbs look to be $20 and mirrors are $13 shipped on eBay. Can probably get it fully/mostly functional for less than $75, including the purchase price of the scanner.

Thoughts?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I'll check that... thanks for the tip!

BTW - looks like the 35uF motor run cap that the MX-10 uses to ignite the metal halide bulb was bad. Tried ordering a new replacement through three different Martin dealers in my area and they all would have to order the part from Denmark... $35 w/ shipping and 3-4 weeks to get it?!? No thanks. I'm just going to get a suitable cap for $10 off Amazon and have it fixed in a week.

• 5 months later...
  • Members

They're heavy, but excellent. Did this end up working out for you? I have four with new bulbs in rolling cases that have just been completely gone over. Where on the Mississippi do you live? It only runs east/west a couple places and I'm from one of them - Winona, MN.

• Members

It's working out very well! Have used it several times when I had enough room for it to do it's thing. The best was a 5,000 person "Martini Shake-Off" benefit for a local charity. Big room, big stage, and a big mostly white wall behind the stage.

During the sets for the band (12-piece with horn section) I had the scanner panning an infinity loop shape (sideways figure 8) a little more than the width and height of the stage using various gobos and colors.

During breaks, I used similar gobos and colors but brought some prism into play and used the spinning trio of gobo shapes effect to roam around the ceiling of the dimly lit venue (20+ vendors making little martinis, food tables, and probably 50-60 silent auction prize tables) which was a medium sized conference hall.

During presentations of checks that the charity was giving out to local schools and organizations, I used the MX-10 Extreme as a follow-spot for the MC and recipients at stage front/center using a bastard amber color and just the open setting on the gobo wheel.

For all of this, the scanner was positioned at my mix location about 50' in front of stage right and I had it sitting about 4' off the ground on the top of the doghouse of our mixer case. For less than $100 all-in to buy it and get it up to 100% it's been a bargain. Eventually, I'll work it and the rest of the stage lighting together using Freestyler X2, but for right now it's working fine to run the stage lighting off of our Elation Operator 192 and use the software for the scanner alone. Two blackout buttons to hit at once... but working very well!

We're in the IA/IL Quad Cities.

What case do you use for your MX-10s?

Archived