Question for anybody using DMXIS with a Behringer FCB1010 footpedal board....

• Members

...or something similar.

I've got the footpedal to control everything on the DMXIS software the way I want it to...EXCEPT...the bank up and down switches don't change the banks on DMXIS. It only works when set to bank 00. If I change a bank on the footpedal then the DMXIS stops responding until I go back to bank 00. From what I understand, it should pretty much just plug-and-play and control the banks out of the box.

Tried resetting the 1010 to the factory settings and that didn't help either. Any suggestions, anyone?

• Members

The FCB I have is brand new out of the box. Don't know if it has all the upgrades or not....Not sure why it's not working right. I know there's something about banks on the DMXIS being on midi channel 15 and presets being midi channel 16 but if I had the midi channels wrong than nothing else would be working I wouldn't think.....grrr....

• Members
The FCB I have is brand new out of the box. Don't know if it has all the upgrades or not....Not sure why it's not working right. I know there's something about banks on the DMXIS being on midi channel 15 and presets being midi channel 16 but if I had the midi channels wrong than nothing else would be working I wouldn't think.....grrr....

If you haven't done it yet. Find a sysx editor for the FCB online http://host.mtnsys.com:81/faq-fcb/PCEditorBeta.htm. I've used this one successfully. Makes it a lot easier to setup the FCB.

The upgrades are aftermarket stuff,pretty easy to do and makes the FCB a swiss army knife of a controller.

Besides DMXIS, I use mine for my MP-1 , TC G-Major , Rocktron VooDoo Valve and 2 GSP 1101's.

I didn't even mess with mine new. I wanted it to have stompbox mode and I had to install a UNO chip to do that. I think the chip was like 12.00 at the time.

I also bypassed the power supply and used the outer pins of my midi cable to supply 12volts DC to the power board in the FCB and made a powered jumper cable that goes one way so I only have a midi cable in the back of my controller.

Theres tons of info about the FCB out there, as well as on the DMXIS forum.

Now if we could get the FCB guys to add tap-tempo to their nifty little box of fun that would be cool!

• Members

Yeah, all that looks and sounds cool. Thanks for the link. I'll see about doing that stuff down the road.

Right now, I just want to be able to go up and down the list of 'banks' on the DMXis software by using the up and down bank pedals on the FCB1010.

Seems simple enough, yet.....

• Members

In the meantime I've created a workaround by using the DMXis footswitch for changing banks' date=' but grrrrrrrr.....[/quote']

No I got ya, you need it to work now,not after all the other crap. Look into that editor. You can make sure the FCB is sending the same info in each bank a lot easier than the hold,push, push wait assign way of navigating the footcontroller.

• Members

Well, I'll just use the footswitch in a simple single-click=down bank; double-click=up-bank manner and still use the FCB for switching between patches, but yes that will still be extra trouble I don't need. So I do have to get the whole thing figured out.

Unfortunately, the DMXis forum has been of very little help.

• Members
Are you looking to use a bank of presets per song?

Yes. Even though many songs only have 3 or 4 presets and a lot of the presets are duplicates (or slight variations), I think the easiest, most effective thing for me overall is to have a bank for each song, scroll down to the next song, and choose the presets I need.

I plan on setting it up so that on every bank Patch 10 is always 'blackout', Patch 4 is always "guitar solo", Patch 2 is always "drum intro", etc. etc. so that memorization is easier.

As far as using the FCB goes, I've found two older posts---one here and one over at the DMXis forum, where people say that their FCB footcontroller changed banks using the bank pedals right out of the box. So I know that it CAN be done. Assuming the pedalboard isn't defective in some weird manner (using the bank pedals changes the numbers on the pedalboard like it's supposed to and changing from bank 00 to any other prevents me from changing the presets, so I know it's sending out some sort of signal) my best guess is that there's just a simple adjustment I need to make.

Head-scratcher about that is I've tried resetting the FCB to the factory settings, and there doesn't seem to be any way to make such adjustments to the software, so I'm not sure what the issue is.

• Members

For me, mine out of the box, the bank changes, changed the banks on the FCB which corresponded with the presets on the list. Bank 00 Pedal 1 - 10 were the first 10 on the list on DMXIS. Bank 01: pedal 1 - 10 were the next 10 etc etc. so it lets me choose from 100 scenes in a bank. I mentioned how they were set up. I would rather have 3 or 4 banks of 100 and change them manually with the mouse on the comp between sets.

• Members
For me' date=' mine out of the box, the bank changes, changed the banks on the FCB which corresponded with the presets on the list. Bank 00 Pedal 1 - 10 were the first 10 on the list on DMXIS. Bank 01: pedal 1 - 10 were the next 10 etc etc. so it lets me choose from 100 scenes in a bank. I mentioned how they were set up. I would rather have 3 or 4 banks of 100 and change them manually with the mouse on the comp between sets.[/quote']

3 or 4 banks of 100 won't work as well for me since we so often change up the setlist on the fly.

If I can't use the FCB to sort up and down the bank list easily, I'll probably just stick with the footswitch method. I can Velcro it nice and tight to the side of the FCB or something.

• Members

Yeah, my set up is geared to be a bit more scene/song specific than that. Focusing lights on the lead singers (we have 5 different lead singers throughout the night), soloists, adding more movement for choruses, bringing stuff down for breakdowns, etc. Simple enough to do, just mostly a matter of keeping all organized as simply as possible.

Next step will be to add some movers, but we've spent a lot of money just getting to where we are right now. Those might have to wait until next year.

• Members

I've thought about that. I mentioned how I set up the 10 pedals per bank. I've considered a him solo me solo, kind if 1 of the 4 wash lights on him for his solo, the other 3 off, or a different color, and same with me. Something to think about and maybe try. Hmmmm

• Members

And I hear ya on upgrading in steps. I did all my upgrading one thing at a time using gig money. Here was my original plan. 4 Intimidator 1.0 scanners, 8 blizzard 3NX and 3 chauvet 6spots was the original idea. Then it just grew from there. 034EB6AF-4021-4FB3-94F2-C803169226E1.jpg

• Members
I've thought about that. I mentioned how I set up the 10 pedals per bank. I've considered a him solo me solo' date=' kind if 1 of the 4 wash lights on him for his solo, the other 3 off, or a different color, and same with me. Something to think about and maybe try. Hmmmm[/quote']

Yeah....DMXIS does so much that it only makes sense to do as much as my foot will allow. So the plan is to stomp on a pedal every time we go to a new section of a song and have a song-specific scene set up for it. Takes some time to program all the stuff, but hopefully in the end it'll all be worth it.

• Members

Yeah....DMXIS does so much that it only makes sense to do as much as my foot will allow. So the plan is to stomp on a pedal every time we go to a new section of a song and have a song-specific scene set up for it. Takes some time to program all the stuff, but hopefully in the end it'll all be worth it.

This may be overkill for your situation, but perhaps you could use touchOSC on an ipad and design a screen with song title buttons so you can just touch the screen to call up the appropriate song bank, then use the FCB to move through that particular banks' presets during the song. I haven't actually done that, but I am considering it as a backup plan for when our light guy can't make it.

• Members

Well, I can just use the mouse on the laptop if I want to change the banks with my fingers. Which I did a few times last gig.

My other consideration---this might be easier in the long run to work while playing---is using a small keyboard and having each note trigger a different scene. But it just kind of depends on the song whether it's easier to use a hand or a foot!

• 2 months later...
  • Members
Did you ever figure out how to get the bank buttons working on your controller? I am having the same issue you are/were.

No, I never did. I can't seem to find a solution. No help on the DMXIS forum site either. Some people have said "you can't do that". Others have said "the banks worked perfectly as soon as I hooked it up." Obviously either somebody is wrong, or we're talking about different things.

Right now I'm using the included footswitch with the DMXIS dongle to move the banks. Which only works so-so well. It's slow to switch and the double-click needed to scroll back up is something I don't always nail with my foot during the hectic pace while playing a song. I switch many times using the touchpad on the laptop.

So if anybody figures out how to do it....LET ME KNOW!

• Members

DMXIS software is easy to use but it's pretty limited in its feature set. I dunno why people still recommend touchOSC, nobody should buy that software because the developer completely abandoned it.

Midi Designer on the iPad will probably work as a solution as the thing is incredibly flexible but I don't own an iPad to actually test it out (I've used the software with DMXIS before, you can ask the developer if what i'm suggesting will work). You gotta hookup your FCB1010 to the Midi Designer app on the iPad and tell it when you press midi up and down on the iPad to change banks by having Midi Designer send a midi note on channel 15 to DMXIS (There's also a way to do this using a midi CC, check the DMXIS message board for which one it is).

If you don't like the DMXIS footswitch you can always use a Tech 21 midi mouse instead. That works good to switch banks. I have personal experience with that one.

I guess the other option is to use different software, Martin M-PC will work with a DMXKing usb dongle but it's a lot more complex than DMXIS however it's way cheaper as the software is free and the dongle is 60 bucks.

• Members

Yeah well, I've already got a lot of time invested into the DMXIS software and have set up our whole show with it, so I'm not looking to switch software. I might try a different footswitch.

In the meantime maybe I'll probably just keep bugging the DMXIS developers. Seems like it's just a matter of a simple midi command.

Archived