Need help with 10' x 12' stage lighting

• Members

Hi,

I'm building a permanent lighting rig (won't be moved) on a "U" shaped truss. About 3 m across the front of the stage, and 1.5 meters on the upper parts of the "U" going toward the back of the stage.

Ive never done this before, but I'm thinking this:

A scanner on each upper arm of the "U"

Three Chauvet moving yoke, I'm leaning Rogue spot or beam, evenly spaced on edges and middle of "U" base.

Two washes, in-between the three moving yokes, maybe Chauvet Colorado 4IP

Is this going to be overkill and blind the band? Any and all suggestions would be hugely appreciated!

My budget is just about maxed with the list above (software/controllers/cables/truss/etc all set). Oh, and the ceiling is 10', with 8.5" truss.

• Members

Way overkill. First, the Rogue fixtures are 17.6" and your truss is 8.5" which adds up to 26.1" if your truss is tight to the ceiling and doesn't take into account and space required for a clamp. The fixture will be below 8'. If pointed directly at the floor, your beam on the floor will be about 15" in diameter.

You need wide throw moving heads to be effective and why would you go with a waterproof flood indoors? Again a wide angle strip for color wash would suggest ADJ's Ultra Bars with their 40 degree beam spread.

• Members

I agree with Bill that your equipment list is quite off base with what you should be looking at, but I'm not really a fan of those Ultra Bars - they're only RGB Tri-LEDs, and IMO you really need some amber and/or white to do frontlight properly. I have tried and failed many times to make a genuinely natural looking frontlight with RGB fixtures, but I can do it effortlessly with an RGBA, RGBW, or RGBAW fixture. And with the amber and blue you can make some very nice cooler frontlight colors.

Here's my recommendations:

>Static washes: Blizzard HotBox RGBAW w/diffuser panel - 7 of these, 5 across the front and 1 on each of your side truss legs for cross wash. You don't want to go with anything less than quad color LEDs, and stepping up to RGBAW is definitely a good idea in my book. Tri-LEDs (a la Ultra Bars) do not give you the color gamut you need for front light. The HotBox diffuser spreads the beam out to about 45 degrees which is great for front light, and the HotBoxes have the intensity needed to wash the stage.

>Beamage: Chauvet Intimidator Scan 300 - 6 of these, 2 on each side and two on the front. Scanners are a winner for your low ceiling height since you can get the mirrors up higher, and you cannot beat the beam spread on the Scan 300s. I put some of these in to a space with 9' ceilings and I love them. Widest gobo mover fixture that I know of in its price range in a long time. Fantastic output and great gobo selection, and it's wicked fast too, way faster than a moving yoke.

If you have money left after that, get some moving washes.

>Moving washes: Chauvet Intimidator Wash 350 IRC - 4 of these, 2 on the front, one on each side. These can spot individual performers or provide beams or wash the backdrop or the crowd.

I would pose another question though: why no truss behind/upstage of the band? That's a primary lighting position for concert lighting. It adds depth to the lighting, and with haze or fog you all but need this kind of position to really give lighting punch.

Also, what kind of control software/hardware are you going to be running? That's a very important part of the setup.

Archived