Video or pics of prewiring a truss?

mstreck

• Members

I want to prewire my new ADJ LightBridge truss this weekend. I found some videos, but I'm looking for tips/how-to's for keeping it all nice, straight, trim, and tight.... I haven't been able to find much on Google. Can someone point me in the right direction? Thank you!

• Members

Just did this with my Lightbridge truss not too long ago. I ran everything essentially to create pig tails of power and dmx at each area I hang lights.

For power, I bought 3 black power strips that are zipped tied to the bottom of the truss (the flat bar part meant to hang lights from the bolts). These will be replaced with box receptacles eventually. I don't like that the power strips are daisy chained, but I was in a hurry.

I setup the truss, hung all the lights and connected all power and dmx. I made sure that at each break in the truss, there was dmx at the end of one truss and at the start of the next truss. All IEC power cables were run to the power strips in each truss section. From there, I used black zip ties to hold the cables in place to the top of the truss (inside). To create the pig tail, I used black plastic corrugated cable protector to keep the dmx in, dmx out, and power all together. I also used a ptouch labeller to label each pigtail, where each fixture goes, and truss order. That way if I have help, they'll have a little clue as to where things go. I also labelled each fixture.

So at the gig, I pull the truss out of the bag, follow the labels to have each section in order, and connect them together. I put the truss up on the stands, and then go through and pull out each pigtail, and connect the dmx and power together between each section. Hang the lights, connect the pigtails to the fixtures, run power to the first power strip, and connect the wireless dmx module to the first dmx connector. For my setup, both power and dmx start on the far left (if your facing the truss).

I hope this helps. The next couple gigs will be at places with their own lights/sound, but next time I have it out I will try to take pics of the setup.

Archived