Oh No I've Done It Again - LIGHT SHOW (Part 1)

soundlight

• Members

Programmed for a small production industry tradeshow at Starlite Productions (www.starlite.com) in New Jersey back in September.  Just now got around to uploading it.  Really pulled out all of the stops for this one.  Make sure to check out the guys at Manic Bloom - www.manicbloom.com.  They consistently provide killer tracks for my light shows and provided this one several months before release.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Members
This might be out of line' date=' but could you briefly describe what the programming process is to put some of that stuff together for those of us that are newbies at programming?[/quote']

Step 1: Figure out how I want to lay out the lights. I play around with various NapkinCAD sketches on small note pads or scraps of paper until I find something that I like. Then I make it fit the constraints of what I'm dealing with, futz around with fixture placement and counts, and finalize that. I like to always work in groups of two or three, so I can make more interesting positions.

Step 1a: Find some kickass music. Music sometimes defines parts of the rig, whereas the rig sometimes also defines what music I pick. Having the right music is absolutely critical for my light shows. Sometimes the music comes first, sometimes the rig comes first.

Step 2: Punch everything in to the console. Put in the patch and set up the 3D positioning in the console's visualizer so that I can hook that up to a computer and program the show away from the rig.

Step 3: Build all of the "presets" that I need. Various colors, gobos, positions, beam attributes, &c. &c. are all put in to "presets" for faster programming.

Step 4: Make some cues. Then delete some cues, then make some more cues. I start by roughly planning out how I want the show to go, generally write down some specific things that I want to do, and then I just go at it. It's a long process.

Step 5: Make sure it's all sync'd up to the music. I use MIDI Timecode to link up the music with the light cues and ensure that the cues will fire at the exact same time every time.

Step 6: Sit back and enjoy the show. Once everything's working all I have to do is hit the space bar on the computer and everything plays back in time.

That's the basics of how I do it.

HERE'S ANOTHER VIDEO OF SOME RIDICULOUSLY AWESOME LIGHTS THAT I PROGRAMMED

(Side note: it's been a long time since I've been on here, and the new layout absolutely sucks. I can't make my link-filled, complex-edited posts that I was famous for. This is some BS. I didn't come back for a while because the site was down so many times, and then the new layout was annoying enough that I stayed away for a while. I'm really not liking it at all. Sorry for the long leave of absence from the HC lighting forum!)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
That... was... flippin''... SWEET! Nice work... and welcome back to the forum. (Please stay and tough out the forum interface... we are all better at this stuff when you're around.)

Agreed!

• 4 years later...

Archived