vocal harmonizers

• Members

I would like to get a vocal hamonizer/processor as a gift to a relative who sings in a small church band.

What are some good ones, she's not a knob tweaker so simple is better. (She is tone discriminating however.)

Thanks......Tom

• Members

Do a search. There are many threads on the subject.

cheapest/easiest - Digitech Volcalist Performer (

There are 2 other Digitech products. The rackmount one would be next step up. The Ex workstation is next, but it's not intended for live use and is far from intuitive.

I currently use a TC-Helicon VoicePrism. The price has recently been dropped to

• Members

I'd recommend the Digitech Vocalist Performer. Easy to use, and sounds great to my ears. I use one in my classic rock trio and have never had anybody, even fellow musicians, complain that the sound is unnatural. In fact, most compliment me on the great harmonies and ask me who the other guys are and want to know how I synced up a tape to match my voice so perfectly. The only drawback is that you must sing right on pitch, otherwise the machine will harmonize to the wrong note. This is true of all harmonizers, to the best of my knowledge.

Michael D.

• Members

I've got the Digitech Vocalist, and have been reasonably happy with it for the price I paid....... I would love to hear from someone who has used both. how much better the TC Helicon Voice Prism is than the Digitech. Is it worth the extra bucks?

• Members

Used Performer for a year and Voiceprism for a year and, IMO, I don't think it's worth the extra bucks provided:

1) You are only using it for live vocals with no need for triggering MIDI.

2) You don't need the effects

Voiceprism best - For recording you can do more with it and get more "human" characteristics that just aren't required for live.

Vocalist best - The A/B which allows 2 harmony arrangements for a single preset is great. The Helicon Quintet has this feature.

• Members

Here's a few thoughts, based on my experience with a Digitech VR:

On mine, there's a software switch which will allow it to harmonize either to your note...whether in pitch or not, or to the exact note.

A little delay on the start time of the harmony line helps pull it away from the lock-step robotic sound that these things have. Unfortunately, mine doesn't have delay...instead they put a crappy reverb on it that I never use. I think that all Helicons do, however.

A little goes a long way. I remember when I first started using mine, and I had all these great harmony lines all programmed out, and a long-time customer came to me and said "Can you please turn that thing down...we can't hear you sing!" Now, a few years later, I use it less and less...usually for one harmony line here and there. You do get tired of it's sound after awhile.

Archived