Impedence & Wattage Question.

• Members

I've said it before and this will prove it. I'm not too techy. I only have 2 aux sends but 3 guys sing (including the drummer). Obviously, everyone has to hear. The question is........if I have 2 monitors with a RMS rating of 200 watts and I daisy chain them together, will 325w @ 8 Ohms be too much? Does chaining them together change the impedence? And finally what happens if I add a 3rd monitor to the chain? Thanks

• Members

One 8 ohm cab = 8 ohms

Two 8 ohm cab = 4 ohms

Three 8 ohm cabs = 2.67 ohms

four 8 ohm cabs = 2 ohms

If the ohms of each cab is the same, the power should be realtively the same to each cab.

I assume your cabs are 8 ohms each? 200 wts each?

• Members

Tommy PM'd me because I use the same Yammy EMX5000-20 mixer. He wants to use the mixer's power amps (stereo board) to drive the monitors and use the main out to another power amp for FOH.

It can be done. I will send him the info.

• Members

Yes it's a Yamaha powered mixer. Here's the specs for it. http://www.yamaha.com/yamahavgn/Documents/Pro_Audio/Manual/Owner_s_Manual/emx5000.pdf I'm starting to think that what I wanna do can't be done. I wanted to daisy 3 monitors across the front for the bass palyer, the giutarist & myself. The drummer has to have his own mix because of the condensor mic that he uses is a bitch to control. I wanted to try to use the board as the monitor amp. You have the option to send the power to the aux sends. That would give me the flexability to use external amps for bigger subs and more mains for bigger shows. I was thinking that I could come out of the stereo sends to an external amp for the mains, use the internal amp for the monitors and use the mono out for the subs. Now, I'm not so sure cause I'm trying to hook up 1 too many monitors in the chain. I was also concerned about blowing the monitors by hooking 3 together.

Archived