Recording preamp used live?

• Members

I have a mic preamp that I use for recording, the Presonus TubePre, and I was wondering if it would be possible/benefitial to use it live (i.e. run a mic, into the preamp, into the PA system)? Would this be safe for the equipment? Effective in making a better sound? Is there any reason not to give this a try?

• Members

Originally posted by SmattyG

I have a mic preamp that I use for recording, the Presonus TubePre, and I was wondering if it would be possible/benefitial to use it live (i.e. run a mic, into the preamp, into the PA system)? Would this be safe for the equipment? Effective in making a better sound? Is there any reason not to give this a try?

I have no experience with this particular unit. I've heard the difference that a simple tube pre-amp can make when making digital recordings (a gentle softening of the sound, helps to lose that "digital edge.")

It is possible and safe to try it live with any source (mic, line.) Just watch your levels. Any benefits?....none that I've ever heard with similar type units. Try an A-B test: get a XLR "y" splitter cord (1 female to 2 males), one side into the Presonus then into the board, the other side directly into another channel on the board. OR (without the Y cable): mic into one channel, jumper a direct out from that channel into the Presonus then into another channel. Compare and let us know what you hear.

Archived