What does it take?

• Members

I am into different styles of music but in bands I mainly play punk and hardcore. Anyway I need a cheap P.A. system that will be loud enough for practice and maybe loud enough for basment gigs (that's not a requirement). Well the bad part is I can order only online because noone near here sells small systems. another question what will I need to have a functioning P.A. system all I think is

Powered Mixer or Power amp and mixer

Passive Speakers (active for more power)

Cables

and

Microphones.

Thanks a lot please stear me in the right direction.

• Members

If you just want it for practise, and it doesn't need to go too loud, you could possibly get away with using a keyboard/acoustic guitar amp. They are basically the same thing as a PA, and they come in combo style configuration. You'll probably be able to get a decent one for $500 or so ;) They ussually have 2 inputs too, so you could also plug in a second mic, or an acoustic guitar.

• Members

oh boy :rolleyes:

used mains $400

used amp 250

sm57's x4 280

cables 100

el cheapo mixer 250

cost ya about 1200. That's about as cheap as she gets. Sniff out some better deals, do it for $1000.

Oh...the $300 PA-on-a-stick...well for half that you could yourself a real nice boombox, and that'll be about the same fidelity.

• Members

Behringer makes a couple of very inexpensive 4-6 channel mixers (in the $50-$100 range.) Get one of those and watch on ebay for a cheap powered speaker, like a jbl eon or such. This should make a usable practice system for not more than $300-400. The system is then expandable by adding more powered speakers.

• Members

The $299 Behringer mixer with some decent speakers would be alright for practice I suppose.

If you need to go lowball-carpet munching cheap, try to get some used stuff off of eBay. A used Peavey powered mixer like the XR600C or B or whatnot...

Archived