What about the Fender Passport systems?

• Members

What do you guys think?

I am considering purchasing one of these for my first pa system. I'm a solo acoustic guitarist/singer, but may also be plugging in a double bass and cello. I'd be singing through a shure beta 87A.

Do you guys like the sound of these things? Would the 250 model be loud enough to use with a drummer?

Thanks a lot,

-Robert

• Members

i set up the sound for my wife, before i found this web site i walked into a music store and was sold a fender passport . And it sucks. I would look at the new alesis mixers with effects the little 6fx is only 99$ a memeber here clapton sg was going to buy one and review it for us. The passport doesnt have phantom power i think the 87a needs it. And i wouldnt put any kind of bass thru it. I would buy one of the yorkville e500p speakers insted of 2 behringer 300s and a little behringer or alesis mixer with effects. Yorkville makes a little e160p powered speaker its only 10" you could get 2 of those and a little mixer for the price of a passport but i dont think you would want to put any bass thru them.

• Members

I can't afford two behringer b300 speakers at $350 a piece. I was hoping to get a passport on ebay for about $500 or so.

Has anyone tried the peavey pro lite series? These seem like they might be a good deal.

Can I power a speaker with just a mixer, or do I need a powered mixer? If I get a powered speaker like the b300 using a mixer would be fine, correct? Do all powered mixers have phantom power?

Thanks a lot guys,

-Robert

• Members

Originally posted by Robman

Can I power a speaker with just a mixer, or do I need a powered mixer? If I get a powered speaker like the b300 using a mixer would be fine, correct? Do all powered mixers have phantom power?

No, you need either a powered mixer or a powered speaker.

Yes it would be fine.

Not all powered mixers have phantom power - but most do.

• Members

Alright,

How does the JBL EON 1500 compare to the B300? I can find the EON for less money than the B300 new on ebay.

What is the advantage of having powered speakers in place of a powered mixer?

Thanks again for the advice everyone,

-Robert

• Members

What is the advantage of having powered speakers in place of a powered mixer?

POWERED MIXER CONS

- Most powered mixers do not have very many aux sends (usually only 1-2). You need one of these for every separate monitor mix you do. Also you need one for effects if you have an outboard effects unit. ESSENTIALLY what I'm saying is routing options are limited.

- Powered mixers often have only 6 - 12 channels and are very easy to outgrow

- Powered mixers often are not very powerful. The wattage specs are usually quoted at 4 ohms, but that means you are running 2 speaker cabinets (typical cabs are 8 ohms) so you are splitting the power between them.

- Powered mixers usually have fairly lame channel EQ. While some have mid band eq, very few have a sweepable mid.

POWERED SPEAKER PROS

- Amps are matched perfectly for the speakers. Less chance of blowing it all up

- Often powered speakers are bi-amped (seperate amp for horn and woofer). This improves sound quality

- No bulky speaker cables. An XLR mic cable is all that's needed

- No power loss from using skimpy speaker cables (common rookie mistake), since they are "built in".

ESSENTIALLY - It's harder to screw up powered speaker setups as you aren't matching and monitoring seperate amps and speakers. You don't have to worry about bridging and ohm loads, long cable runs, etc. Just turn it on and go.

• Members

What do you guys think?

I am considering purchasing one of these for my first pa system. I'm a solo acoustic guitarist/singer, but may also be plugging in a double bass and cello. I'd be singing through a shure beta 87A.

Do you guys like the sound of these things? Would the 250 model be loud enough to use with a drummer?

Thanks a lot,

-Robert

They have no guts at all. I tried one as just an onstage acoustic guitar amp and it wasn't nearly loud enough.

• Members

Thanks a lot for your replies!

Does anyone know if the MultiMix 8FX has phantom power or not?

I decided to go with the Behringer B300's and now I just need a mixer..

Is there a mixer thread or something similar? There are so many out there I don't even know where to begin! I'd like to spend around $150, but absolutely no more than $200. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

-Robert

• Members

Well since you're already going the Behringer route, you might as well get a Behringer mixer. This way you only double your chances of blowing something on a gig ...

The UB series are dead cheap/inexpensive.

You can even find one with effects (reverb, delay) for around $150.

• Members

How many channels does the mixer need to have?

A Behringer line seems to be the best, new/cheap route. Depending on the number of channels you need, a Spirit folio can be very nice too. Ebay sometimes has deals on Peavey mixers that are worth pursuing.

Archived