The Amp Forum sucks.

• Members

I posted a question, got no replies and there are so many people posting nothing of substance that my post is now burried on the 3rd page. I guess that this question is slanted more toward tech guys or guitar guys but I though that I'd throw it out there and see what I got. I have a Trace Elliott Super Tramp 100 watt amp. It's a solid state amp with a tubed pre amp. I like the gain that I get from Marshall ECC83 tubes but I don't know where to get them. It seems that no one has them. Where can I get some or what it a suitable replacement? If I get no reply here, I'll understand but I doubt that I'll be headed back to the guitar forum any time soon. Thanks fellas. I appreciate this forum more and more every day.

• Members

You should try http://www.tubesandmore.com/. They have a great variety of tubes, and they have techs who can tell you what tubes are equivalent. I wouldn't give up on the amp forum, though. There are some people there with good information.

You need to learn the fine art of the bump. For a modest, non-refundable fee of $19.95 U.S., I will impart the secret of this high level bbs tactic. I accept Paypal.

The amp forum is busy, but you will never have to stand helplessly by while your post is buried again!

:D

• Members
Originally posted by Tommy Tune

I posted a question, got no replies and there are so many people posting nothing of substance that my post is now burried on the 3rd page. I guess that this question is slanted more toward tech guys or guitar guys but I though that I'd throw it out there and see what I got. I have a Trace Elliott Super Tramp 100 watt amp. It's a solid state amp with a tubed pre amp. I like the gain that I get from Marshall ECC83 tubes but I don't know where to get them. It seems that no one has them. Where can I get some or what it a suitable replacement? If I get no reply here, I'll understand but I doubt that I'll be headed back to the guitar forum any time soon. Thanks fellas. I appreciate this forum more and more every day.

I like the amp forum. It is my second favorite next to this one. Far more info there than on either of the main guitar forums. Anyway,I doubt seriously that Marshall makes their own tube. It is probably a rebranded model of one of the main manufacturers. I'd contact Lord Valve(that's where I buy my tubes)and see if he knows exactly what tube that would be.

• Members

I was looking at the Tesla JJ's like Dirtyraggamuffin says. I need a good amount of gain. I also saw another link for tubes it's www.thetubestore.com.

This has nothing to do with this post but my Grandmom used to call me a raggamuffin. Every time that I see his name I think of her. Damn, I miss her. She was a little old italian lady that had a great sense of humor up until the day that she died. Anyway, thanks for the info.

• Members

First, let me preface this by stating that I will not get into discussions on the relative tone merits of one tube over another. It's too much like discussing the flavors of ice cream... to each his own.

The ECC-83 is a dual triode with parameters similar to the 12AX7 family. It shares the same pin-outs, heater configuration, and basic electrical parameters.

While not exact, when the tolerances of tube production are taken into consideration, there is plenty of overlap to make them virtually interchangeable. There may be tone differences, but there will be similar tone differences between the various styles of 12AX7 tubes also.

There is also the EEC-82 which shares similar characteristics with the 12AU7 and so on.

The primary reason, as I've been told, is that there was much sharing of technology between allies (including the US), and this made the situation of combat equipment sharing and support better as we entered WW-II. Of course, with Germany being part of the european economy prior to WW-II, they also posessed the same technology.

Hope this helps!

Archived