Keeping the drums under control sound question

• Members

Short of building a plexiglass case (which I do not have the time to do right now), how can my band keep the drums quieter so that we can keep indoor gigs from being too loud? Our drummer does what he can, but there is only so much that he can do. Thanks for your help.

Details please.

hcintroy

• Members

Define "does what he can" for me, will ya?!

Has he switched to lighter sticks and/or dowel bundle type sticks? Has he worked on his technique to the point where he can play at various volume levels (including quietly) while maintaining intensity? Has he invested in the correct equipment (smaller drums, smaller cymbals)?

Good drummers know how to balance their playing to the rest of the band, the room, etc.

The only other option I can think of is to get him electronic drums which make almost no noise. Then you can have TOTAL control at the board.

• Members

Have you considered beating his head to a pulp before the gig? :D

15 years of doing live sound professionally. I have mixed some wonderful drummers, Dean Castronova, and Steve Smith, and Roger North (anybody remember North drums?!?!?!?!? :)) are the better known I have mixed. Anyway, I can tell you that from experience, the most experienced and well trained drummers are the one's that don't create problems for the sound.

Suggest to your drummer that he take lessons for at least 6 months from whoever is one of the top drum instructors in your area. Lessons are going to drive him to get a COMMAND over his chops, thus he will play with far more confidence at ANY volume.

It is as simple as that.

Ed

Archived