Best Dynamic Mic for Live Vocals?

• Members

I think that Audix stuff is good. OM-5's aren't that shabby either. I guess that it boils down to factors. If you say......... what is the best mic?............I only have $100. That's a little different than saying I have an unlimited budget. What should I get?

• Members

Need more specifics. Kinda like asking "whats the best guitar for live gigging"? You've got your Fender, Gibson, PRS biggots who will fight to the death in favor of their axe. Maybe a Telecaster would be good for country twang and a Jackson solist for 80's metal or whatever. Mic's are the same way. Freq characteristics of each mic model (and sometimes mic!) color the sound differantly and can either compliment or or muck-up (technical term) a vocalist's sound. The best way to get the right mic for the right person is to audition them and trust your ears. With that said, a few mic's worthy of your audition are (from my perspective):

Audix (OM5, 6, 7)

Shure Beta 57, 58, 87

Senheisser e845, e855, e865

Ev ND767

AKG C5900

Earthworks SR-69

Neumann KMS105

Other things to condider.

- Amount of gain before feedback required.

- IEM's or live montiors?

- Does your mixer support phantom power.

• Members

Audix OM-5, OM-7, Shure beta 57 and 58... All these mics are under $200.00.

IMHO, you can do better than an SM57... I picked up two Beta 57 for $100 each (new) and have been very pleased with the sound quality and especially, gain before feedback. I'll probably pick up a few more betas to replace what I have of the SM57 and 58s. I've been doing quite of bit of small stages with lots of open mics and have seen an improvement with using the betas versus the SMs.

Archived