• Members
Originally posted by soundministries

Budget subs fo small church or low volume gigs? I can get them for about $160 ea including shipping. Was thinking about a pair for starters and then maybe another pair later on or will it be a waste of money. I searched the archives first and couldn't find anything on these.

45 oz magnet and 1.5" VC. That doesn't appear to be much of a driver. For about the same price,you can get the Behringer subs,which would probably be better. Peavey also has that plastic cab 15" sub for $139 right now. I've never heard them but,who knows?

• Members

Thank you both for the advice. So if I am understanding correctly, bigger voice coil and bigger magnets equal a better speaker? I'm still trying to learn about specs and stuff so I don't sound so amaturish and can make some of these better decisions so thank you for putting up with folks like me:)

• Members

Originally posted by soundministries

Thank you both for the advice. So if I am understanding correctly, bigger voice coil and bigger magnets equal a better speaker? I'm still trying to learn about specs and stuff so I don't sound so amaturish and can make some of these better decisions so thank you for putting up with folks like me:)

In general, yes... but I assume that there will be some really crappy "high powered" speakers from Asia soon. They will take power but give little sound.

Generally, reputable manufacturers will choose parts that do the job adequately without burdening them with excessive warranty claims and customer service hassle. The poorer manufacturers don't have much customer service anyway, so it's not much of an issue to them! They are selling on price only, reputation does not matter.

Archived