Crossover frequency control settings

• Members

Gear:

Mackie 808S Powered Mixer

2 JBL SF25 (Dual 15 inch two-way speakers)

Frequency Range (-10db) 35 Hz - 16 kHz

Frequency Response (+/-3dB) 45 Hz - 12 kHz

1 JBL SF22SP (Powered dual 12 inch subwoofer)

Frequency Range (-10db) 33 Hz - 125 Hz

Frequency Response (+/-3dB) 41 Hz - 110 Hz

Behringer Super-X Pro CX2310 crossover

I'm running the mixer in stereo 2-way operation with separate subwoofer signal. Based on the frequency response of the subwoofer, should I set the low/subwoofer crossover frequency control to 110 Hz (the range is 10 to 235 Hz)?

I'm also going to run left and right high frequency outputs from the crossover into the mixer (left and right power amp in).

At this point, what frequency range will be sent from the mixer to the 2 JBL SF25 speakers (which are connected directly to the mixer)? Also, what do I need to set the low/high crossover frequency controls (left and right) to on the crossover? I have two ranges to choose from - 44 Hz - 930 Hz or 440 Hz to 9.3 kHz.

• Members
Originally posted by kirbywilson

Gear:

Mackie 808S Powered Mixer

2 JBL SF25 (Dual 15 inch two-way speakers)

Frequency Range (-10db) 35 Hz - 16 kHz

Frequency Response (+/-3dB) 45 Hz - 12 kHz

1 JBL SF22SP (Powered dual 12 inch subwoofer)

Frequency Range (-10db) 33 Hz - 125 Hz

Frequency Response (+/-3dB) 41 Hz - 110 Hz

Behringer Super-X Pro CX2310 crossover

I'm running the mixer in stereo 2-way operation with separate subwoofer signal. Based on the frequency response of the subwoofer, should I set the low/subwoofer crossover frequency control to 110 Hz (the range is 10 to 235 Hz)?

I'm also going to run left and right high frequency outputs from the crossover into the mixer (left and right power amp in).

At this point, what frequency range will be sent from the mixer to the 2 JBL SF25 speakers (which are connected directly to the mixer)? Also, what do I need to set the low/high crossover frequency controls (left and right) to on the crossover? I have two ranges to choose from - 44 Hz - 930 Hz or 440 Hz to 9.3 kHz.

You're running from the crossover back into the mixer? If so,why? I'd set it around 90-100hz and then mess around to find the best area. I don't understand your attempted method of hookup. Why don't you just go from the mixer main outs to the crossover(EQ between there if that's where you run it)and from the crossover high output to the mid/high power amp and speakers and the low outs on the crossover to the inputs on the powered subs.

• Members

I'd agree with TBone on the hook up method. Then, I'd hook a CD player up to the system and play some tunes that sound most like the style of music that you play. Mess with the crossover and try the settings in between 90 and 110hz. See what sounds best. You'll find out that you may prefer one over the other. I think that ours is set at 100hz but we've had it at 110 in the past. It's all a matter of what sounds better on the particular system that you are running.

• Members

I was interpretting that that was the recommended way to hook it up (I haven't done it yet) based on the Mackie 808S manual (page 11).

http://www.mackie.com/pdf/ppm_om.pdf

Are you saying instead of hooking the 2 passive speakers directly to the mixer, I should instead hook the speakers into the crossover? Would the speakers then receive what's left of the frequencies (e.g. anything higher than 100 Hz, it's that's what I set the low/subwoofer crossover frequency control to)?

Please refer to this manual for my next question:

http://www.behringer-download.de/CX2310/CX2310_ENG_Rev_A.pdf

You mentioned mid/highs out. Should I utilitze the mono 3-way operation (page 8), rather than the stereo 2-way operation (page 6)?

• Members
Originally posted by kirbywilson

I was interpretting that that was the recommended way to hook it up (I haven't done it yet) based on the Mackie 808S manual (page 11).

Are you saying instead of hooking the 2 passive speakers directly to the mixer, I should instead hook the speakers into the crossover? Would the speakers then receive what's left of the frequencies (e.g. anything higher than 100 Hz, it's that's what I set the low/subwoofer crossover frequency control to)?

Please refer to this manual for my next question:

You mentioned mid/highs out. Should I utilitze the mono 3-way operation (page 8), rather than the stereo 2-way operation (page 6)?

Oops! I didn't read closely enough. I thought it was a normal mixer/power amp setup,not an all-in-one thing. I really don't know much about those little Mackie powered heads.

• Members

:D

Kirby,

Follow the Mackie manual on page 11. Take the L & R aux outs to the crossover L & R inputs.

Take the high outs from the crossover back to the amp ins on the mixer. This is your high freqs which will now be run by the mains on the mixer.

Take your L low out or sub out to the powered 2 x 12 sub you have. Since you only have 1 sub for now run your going to run mono on the subs. No big deal this is really normal for subs anyway. You should have a "SUM" button which will take both channels for the low and change it to a mono signal.

If you want to add another powered sub later use the R low or sub out from the crossover to feed it and let this sum button out.

As far as the buttons on the crossover you should have a button to push which will change the R freqs to roughly 44hz to 900.

Set the crossover point on the left and right at about 80-90 hz.

The crossover will then take everything above this and feed it to your 2 way cabs as mids/highs.

I'll look at the crossover manual in a second and verify this.

CJ:cool:

• Members

Kirby,

I looked at the back and front panels on the manual.

Your switches are on the back instead of the front like my Behringer(s) 2300.

Leave the switches set at 1X not 10X and they will both operate in the range of 44 - 900 hz. You also have a sub out mono so forget about the switch for mono'ing, just run the sub out from the crossover to the powered input of your sub.

In reference to your other question about 2 or 3 way....

If you use the effects in stereo then it is better to run 2 way stereo unless you have another crossover. It is for your application also simpler to do this. If you were running a three way system ie separate cabs for your subs/lows, mids, and highs then you could switch the crossover to 3 way and run everything in mono.

Hope this helped.

CJ

HEY T IIIIIIIIII'MMMMMMMMMM BACK:D :D :D

• Members

I went to a local pro audio store today to buy the speaker cables I need to hook up this gear:

(2) 1/4" to XLRM balanced

(2) 1/4" to XLRF balanced

(1) XLRM to XLRF balanced

The rep told me that the 1/4" to XLR cables had to be custom made.

If he's right, then I'll have him make the cables for me. If he's wrong - does anyone know where I can buy these cables online?

Kirby

Archived