What do you all get per GIG?

• Members

Just curious... What are the going rates in the US or other areas for sound rentals?

I live in Panama and run sound in bars / clubs and some outdoor events for 50 to 1400 people. My small rig consist of 2 Mackie 1521s, two 1501 subs, two SRM450 monitors, 16-4 or 24-4 mixer, small outboard rack, stands, mics, etc. I use this rig for smalll bars / clubs that get anywhere from 50 to 200 people.

My larger rig consists of 8 Mackie Fussion subs, 4 Fussion 3000 mid/hi cabs, Midas Venice 320, Sabine EQs, TC effects, DBX / Presonus compressors, mics, stands, DIs, snake, etc. I use this rig to cover 500 to 1,400 people. I rent the small rig out about 8 to 12 times per month and the Fussion rig around 6 to 8 times per month. Because of the fierce competition, the rental rate per night including transport and tec (me) ranges from $125 to $200. The larger rig goes from $300 to $450. Currently, I am able to rent the Fussion rig 6 to 8 times per month. All these rates are within the city (10 to 15 mile radius). Anything farther would be at a different rate.

I'd appreciate any feedback from guys at my level (small) with regards to rates, type of geared offered as well as the usage per month. I am convinced we are all charging very little for the services provided.

Thanks in advance...

• Members

What I'm trying to get are some references on pricing in order to show some of the local guys what we should be charging for the type of service we provide...

Thanks for the complement... I am very happy with the Fussion rig.

• Members

I'd say you're probably a little bit too inexpensive for the level of equipment you are providing. But, I haven't been to your locale, so I don't know 'how it's done there'. I'd go up $75-$100 a night if I had your rig here. But then again, it depends on the situation. If I know the bands not making money, I don't stick it to them for the rental money. I just get a fair price, and move on.

Also, if I like the band, and I want more work from them, that makes a difference in my pricing structure.

Also, sometimes band members will help load in and out on stuff that they can't break, and that makes a difference in how much I charge, as well as if they don't bark orders at me like I'm their slave. You have to take a lot of stuff into account when you rent out a system. I've recently been charging a little extra just because I've been doing this a bit longer than most everyone in my town, and I feel that my time and expertise behind the knobs is worth it. Plus, I've been doing this so long that I no longer care if I lose a gig here or there. If a group is really difficult to get along with, I charge everything that I feel I can get, and then don't work with them again after that gig.

Just my opinion...

Archived